'snap point divider'

Mr.Alex

Hi,

I'm slowly switching from Microstation to AutoCAD. I'm trying to find out if a tool that exists in Microstation exists in AutoCAD.

In Microstation, it's called the 'snap point divider'. It's like the 'snap to midpoint' command in AutoCAD, but you can enter how many divisions of the line youd like, you don't just have to snap to a line's midpoint. So for example, if you selected 3, you could snap to a line at a point a third of a way along it. Or you could select 10,50, whatever.

I hope that makes sense! :lol:

If it does make sense, can anyone tell me if that tool exists?

Thanks

No, but it sounds good though. :) Via the command OSNAP (or +DSETTINGS 2) you will find a list of the standard snap tools in AutoCAD.

The closest you'll get with plain AutoCAD is the DIVIDE command but it's nowhere as quick as what you describe.

Ok, thank you.

It's a shame there's no exact equivalent, it's a usefull tool :cry:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look at them!

Ok, thank you.

It's a shame there's no exact equivalent, it's a usefull tool :cry:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look at them!

I am thinking there might be a way to do it using the transparent 'CAL command... similar to how you find the mid point between two other points, e.g.:

'CAL (END+END)/2

I tried with other values instead of /2 but did not get the correct point returned...:huh:

I'm not familiar with the 'cal command, I'll look into that, thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion of the divide command, I had a go with that, and while it's not as quick as what I was looking for, it's pretty close :)