Crossections

Kemion

I've drawn a house in 3d with a mix of solids and regions that are textured. If I want to, say, cut the house in half or across the front to view the interior - how would I do that? I've looked into the solview and soldraw commands, but I'm not sure if that's what I need.

- Kemion -

In AutoCAD 2006 the 3D ORBIT command has clipping options, meaning that objects are showed only between two planes, the parts outside are transparent. Does that work in your software too?

I'm using the student version of AutoCAD 2009. I invoked the 3dorbit command, but there did not seem to be any additional options. Also, I'd like to put these crossectional views into a layout for presentation if that's possible.

- Kemion -

The command 3DCLIP works in acad09. this is the 3d clipping planes window that pops up. The purple line is your back clipping plane. the black line is your front. you can move these forward/back. As fuccaro said, these are based on your view and the preview window(looking from the top) shows your ucs. The two buttons off to the right turn the front or back or both clipping planes off/on. Its important to note that these do not alter your model only let you see into or through it.

SECTION will create a 2d line of your object(s) at your section plane. So if you took a section of a cube, you would get a square.

SLICE will allow you to cut your house on a plane. If you wish you can change one part of your house to another layer and turn it on/off. but this will alter your model and i do not know if this will work on your non solid walls(probably but i dont remember).

Im sure there are other ways but these are 3 that can be done without loosing anything from your model(except SLICE which is easy to redo in most cases)