DXF true color

Alisima

Hi guys,

I'm currently building a pre/post-processing program, including 2D scatter interpolation and a dxf solid export.

The problem is, I am unable to find some way to enable truecolor in my dxf export routine. This is the format I use to export a single solid:

SOLID

Matrix

Ok, great, it works, I get a nice image in autocad. But now I like to use truecolors. I have been wrestling with the DXF Reference Guide, which suggest to use the 420 group code, which is indeed how autocad does it. However, when I try the 420 group code, followed by a 24-bit integer color, autocad complains "Undefined group code 420 for object on line 14".

When I look further into an autocad generated DXF with an entity that has a truecolor, I notice the solid entity (which has the 420 group code) is linked with a BLOCK_RECORD, which in turn is linked with another BLOCK_RECORD.

I have no idea what they do, or how to use them. Autocad complains, again, when I try to insert the 2 BLOCK_RECORD's...

So I'm in the dark here.

Anyone any idea??

Many thanks in advance...

Bas.

• 4 months later...

Bas,

Have you got anywhere with this? I have written a dxf translator program that converts 3D Lidar points + 24 bit true colour data into a dxf file and the points are successfully displayed in AutoCAD. However, the points are always displayed white and not the colour I have assigned to the Group code 420.

I shall investigate the BLOCK_RECORD link and get back to you if I have any success but I believe I might try IGES as I have searched high and low for advice on this issue.

Cheers,

Aubrey

Aubrey,

No man, I'm still using the autocad palette.

If you do find out something, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Cheers, Bas.

• 4 years later...

Just in case any one need it,

In 420 group code, a true color with Red==200, Green==100 and Blue==50 is 0x00C86432, and in DXF, in decimal, 13132850

Just add two 0's before true color and convert to decimal. Use within AcDbEntity only. This is working fine for me.