rotating multiple text objects in 3d?

pawell

Hi all,

does anyone know how to solve a problem like this?

I have a drawing with results of geodetic survey with hundreds of points placed to correct coordinates. Each point has two text items attached (point number + something unimportant), base point of these texts is identical with the point itself.

The problem is, the drawing was produced in top view, but I need to use it in front or side view, in which point the text becomes unreadable since it stays parallel to XY plane.

What I think I need is a script which takes all text objects from selection and then takes them one by one and 3d-rotates them along the line parallel to X axis by 90° - but the line has to run through the base point of text so that the base points position doesn't change during rotation. Unluckily, I lack the skills to write a script like this, so I'd like to ask if someones knows about something that would help me - a script like the one described abowe or maybe a completely different solution?

Thanks in advance.

You don't need a script at all. Just make the text Annotative. This will make it so the text will appear face view from any view even isometric. I did notice however that the basepoint of the text (grip) if it was the bottom left corner becomes the top left corner, So if your point matches the top left grip of the text you should be fine, if not then there is an ever so slight shift of the grip, but my text looked great on my test run. To do this just select all the text (you can select all and just go to properties toolbar to filter down to only text) and change it to annotative. With this you just need to add some settings like the paperspace ht and annotative scale. Let me know if it works for your application.

Note: Annotative text will only adjust through a viewport to paperspace. If your somehow trying to accomplish all of this while staying in model then this won't work. But if you are editing by connecting the dots or something then you can view through a viewport and the text will rotate accordingly.

thank you for your hint; I've played around annotations for a while but stopped trying because they work in pspace only... but on the second thought, it CAN help me - I just need to work in mspace opened from pspace, then it seems to be OK... :oops:

so thanks again.

EDIT: oh well, your edit was faster than my reply :)