Text Justification - Move vs Non-Move

ILoveMadoka

I've seen lisp routines that change the justification on a piece of text then move the text based upon the insertion point and the new justification and I've also seen routines that did the justification change but left the text in it's exact location.

I'm just wondering what is the difference between the two?

(I wish had code for both kinds to show..)

A routine I'm working on now moves the text which is fine in

most instances but I didn't know if it was a minor thing to have

it "both ways" as an option.

Its really up to user preference I think -

I think it is best to change the justification, and keep the text in the same place, as this is where the user put it originally, and the change in position could be inconsistent.

The insertion point in stored in dxf group 10. The alignment point is in group 11.

If there are no justification flags (groups 72 or 73) set, then group 11 equals group 10. The either group is set, autocad automatically calculates the group 11 value based on group 10 and moves the text. So in theory you could come back and move the group 10 point to the group 11 or vise verse after modifing the flags. Kinda of your choice or need. -David

AutoCAD is remarkable in that there always seems to be 3 or more ways of doing the exact same thing (see the infamous "tilemode" thread). Sometimes, there's a reason for it. Other times, it's just what the creator happened to think of at the time. Usually though, at least in my experience, it's just user preference.

Sorry, I forgot to thank you guys for the input!

as a followup.....

Don't most of the more "complex" justifications (MC / TL / BR /Etc)

have a 72/73 flag set though? What if you're dealing with one of them but don't want the text to move after a inssertion point change?

If you change via the Properties Dialog the text moves so that the new

insertion point is now located at the original insertion point.

I'm only asking because once upon a time I saw some code that allowed

the justification change but the text position remained the same.

I guess you could write something that calculated text size and the distance from one insertion point to the new one and actually move the

text back based upon that distance but I don't think it was that complicated..

I'm just an inquiring mind...