Bring Selected layer objects to front

skipsophrenic

I remember reading a while ago about being able to select the layer

you want and have everything on that layer brought to the front for

ease of editing, however i can't remember the command name,

thanks in advance

Skipso

Not sure if 2008 is the same but I'm using 2006 and this works:-

select TOOLS then DRAWORDER and you get a list of optionns. I have a docked toolbar which is quicker.

Regards,

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the reply, draw order works best for the objects your able to select,

my problem being the drawing i'm working on has up to 5 - 6 lines overlapping

and i cant select the ones underneath to send them back as well, so i'm looking

for an option whereby i can bring the whole layer ti the front, instead of sending

a couple of lines on a differen layer to the back.

isolate the layer or use quickselect then use your draworder tool

um . . . somehow i dont think all the lights are on in my upstairs dept,

you would think after 2 - 3 yrs using AutoCAD i'd have thought of

that :oops:

Thanks Zorg :)

;; Moves all objects on the "dims" layer to the back
(defun c:lB()
;; creates a selection set of all objects on the "dims" layer.
 (setq sel1 (ssget "x" '((8 . "dims"))))
;; Uses the draworder command to move the objects to the back
 (command "draworder" sel1 "" "back")
)

skipso...

I have the perfect lisp.

Courtacy of my old amigo Lee Mac'o

(defun c:lf();; This command moves all objects on the "dims" layer to the front

(setq sel1 (ssget "x" '((8 . "dims"))));; This will create a selection set of all objects on the "dims" layer.

(command "draworder" sel1 "" "front");; This will automatically use the draworder command to move the objects to the front
)

change the "dims" to the layer you require to bring to the front.

oops! sorry, should have read the question more carefully.

Although this DOES work it doesn't do EXACTLY what the OP was asking for. I guess I'd lock the layers I DIDN'T want to interfere with first etc. etc. which is a bit of a long winded 'workaround'.

I seem to recall the facility to 'Isolate' parts of a drawing being demo'd in ADT(Architecture) - maybe that is what is required?

Rob (must put brain in gear before opening mouth!)

um . . . somehow i dont think all the lights are on in my upstairs dept,

you would think after 2 - 3 yrs using AutoCAD i'd have thought of

that :oops:

Thanks Zorg :)

aha, happens to al lof us mate. I forgot how to draw a spline yesterday :unsure:

• 2 years later...

Hello, dont know what the policy is on resurrecting old threads but I thought it would be better than creating a new topic since its my issue:

I have a drawing with various layers and want to bring a whole layer to the front, much like the OP. I wanted to see about using that lisp thing above but can't because i'm running LT.

I managed to do what i wanted by saving the current layer state, then freezing off all layers apart from the one i wanted to bring to front, blanket selected everything with the green box and brought that all to front. THen restored the layer state in the manager.

That seems quite long winded: is there a quicker way for me running LT? Is there something like a lisp routine or macro that i can use?

Cheers

Rich

Not sure if LT has it but the layiso command would be the quickest if I understand your question correctly. LT may not have this being the weaker brother. And limited on most of its commands. Layer management is very important in everything and can simply how we work with drawings. Your example above is indeed a "long way" to achieve this. I highly doubt you even have an express menu with LT, and if I remember correctly I believe that is where the layiso started. I currently run the 2008 version of Acad and this command is under the format section of the drop down menus. I rarely use any menus as I am accustomed to quick key commands. If you don't have this command it does make it difficult to isolate layers singularily

Not sure if LT has it but the layiso command would be the quickest if I understand your question correctly. LT may not have this being the weaker brother. And limited on most of its commands. Layer management is very important in everything and can simply how we work with drawings. Your example above is indeed a "long way" to achieve this. I highly doubt you even have an express menu with LT, and if I remember correctly I believe that is where the layiso started. I currently run the 2008 version of Acad and this command is under the format section of the drop down menus. I rarely use any menus as I am accustomed to quick key commands. If you don't have this command it does make it difficult to isolate layers singularily

Yes 2009 LT does have the LAYISO command. How does it work? I tried it and it asked me to select an object on the layer to isolate. Not sure what happens then!

The Qselect command worked well too, what are the differences between LAYISO and Qselect?