Is my graphics card broken?

Dorian

What kind of graphics card?

How much onboard memory?

How big is the file you're trying to render?

What other programs are running concurrently?

What kind of graphics card?

How much onboard memory?

How big is the file you're trying to render?

What other programs are running concurrently?

Nvidia 8500 GT 512mb

The file isn't that big couple of MB.

Running Mozilla nothing else.

And this happened after insterting some 3d max models in autocad. Lines just started appearing from nowhere, and when i started rendering that's what happened, i restarted and everything is back to normal.

Can the graphic card stop working if to much work is there to be done.

When i start rendering things are really slow

I'm using a core2duo processor, 2gb ram, 512 graphic card.

Is this enough for better rendering or is there something that needs to upgrade?

Try this.

Cancel whatever you're trying to do in AutoCAD and quit out of the program.

Shut down your computer.

Do a slow count to 20 then reboot. No warm boot allowed (Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Fire up AutoCAD and open the drawing you had the problem with. Attempt to render. What happens? Is the problem repeatable? Can the problem be repeated in another drawing or is it specific to this one particular drawing?

Could be a problem with the fact you're only running 2GB of system RAM. Whatever your graphics card can't handle gets dumped on the CPU which relies upon the installed system memory.

Do you have an anti-virus program running as well?

I'd shut down everything (Mozilla, etc.) and try the render again. What happens?

Now everything is back to normal, but i've seen something similar to this at a friend and it appeared that his card was broken.

"...it appeared that his card was broken."

That sounds like pure conjecture on your and your friend's part. I would have to see this same problem appear in every program and at the Window's Desktop before I would even consider that as a possiblity otherwise you're going to waste a lot of money for nothing trying to solve the "problem". Troubleshooting computer hardware/software problems requires a logical approach.

"Now everything is back to normal..."

So, what did you actually do? Did you follow any of the advice I gave or did you just 'wing' it?

Regarding graphics cards. HEAT is a prime enemy. It can be caused by an accummulation of dust on the graphics card itself, it's fan (if it has one) or on the motherboard. How old is the system? When was the last time to opened up the case and blew out the dust bunnies?

"Now everything is back to normal..."

So, what did you actually do? Did you follow any of the advice I gave or did you just 'wing' it?

I restarted my computer, opened the drawing, rendered again, and it was ok. I guess it was some bug.

One more question.

When i insert a .3ds model and i go with my mouse over it it really takes time to select all the dots and lines in the model. Is this because my computer memory is low, or something else?

Sorry but your last question is beyond my level of knowledge. I barely know enough to run AutoCAD let alone work with a .3ds model. LOL You'll have to rely on someone more knowledgeable than myself to answer that one.

One more question.

When i insert a .3ds model and i go with my mouse over it it really takes time to select all the dots and lines in the model. Is this because my computer memory is low, or something else?

No it's not a problem with your computer.I'm having the same issue(more less) on a Quad processor with 8 Gb of ram.It has to do with the fact that AutoCAD isn't exaclty optimized to handle complex .3ds geometry(Polyface meshes)....a workaround would be something that i thought of...:

-Go to options/selection tab/visual effects settings/Selection preview effect and select the "DASH" option.-

That should do the trick but it's still going to be sluggish.After you play with your 3ds Model(scale,apply material to it etc.) lock the layer where the object is and it's going to be ignored by your mouse hoovering over it.

In AutoCAD 2010 it's a different ball game.You can convert a polyface mesh model into a mesh object that is native for AutoCAD 2010 but i still think it needs an improvement so things run smoothly.

About the amount of RAM you have on your PC.If you start making complex scenes and import complex .3ds geometry,you are going to need more of it.I think that 2Gb sticks are very affordable on the market right now at around 1200den. a piece.

No it's not a problem with your computer.I'm having the same issue(more less) on a Quad processor with 8 Gb of ram.It has to do with the fact that AutoCAD isn't exaclty optimized to handle complex .3ds geometry(Polyface meshes)....a workaround would be something that i thought of...:

-Go to options/selection tab/visual effects settings/Selection preview effect and select the "DASH" option.-

That should do the trick but it's still going to be sluggish.After you play with your 3ds Model(scale,apply material to it etc.) lock the layer where the object is and it's going to be ignored by your mouse hoovering over it.

In AutoCAD 2010 it's a different ball game.You can convert a polyface mesh model into a mesh object that is native for AutoCAD 2010 but i still think it needs an improvement so things run smoothly.

About the amount of RAM you have on your PC.If you start making complex scenes and import complex .3ds geometry,you are going to need more of it.I think that 2Gb sticks are very affordable on the market right now at around 1200den. a piece.

I'm waiting for my new computer till the end of the month, this is my computer at work and you know how bosses are about asking extra stuff that needs to be bought:D:D