Select file crash!

Ubrigens

Two days ago, after loading Autocad I pressed Open to select file as I have done for the past 5 years---nothing happened until the "not responding" message appeared.

If I access my drawing file in My documents and then select the drawing thus opening Autcad--no problem---until I try open file again and then it crashes.

Can anyone help?????

Hello Mark

I open Autocad---Commandline asks for command--i click on Open to bring up my file list and it crashes.

If I go the long way round I can select any file from my list and it will open Autcad at that file,if I then click on Open to select another file,it crashes

When did the problem first occur? What might have changed?

Are you on a network or running as a standalone?

It could be a path-related problem. AutoCAD goes searching for the drawing, can't find it as the "path" is muddled in some fashion and crashes.

If you go through Explorer find and click on a drawing file it does not crash?

Hello Mark

thanks for taking an interest.I am on a stand alone system.

Problem occurred two days ago and after I renewed my Norton subscription,but nothing else has gone wrong on the system,so I did not want to get into a "post hoc" assumption.

If I go through Explorer and load Autocad thro the drawing it does not crash,but trying Open to load another drawing--it crashes!

When you open autocad do fo file and try to recover the drawing then give it another shot

No it still crashes when open is clicked

Two days ago you renewed your Norton subscription. And of course you created a Restore point before doing so right?

Is this just Norton antivirus or is it the suite program?

I suggest you temporarily disable Norton and try opening a drawing. Does the system crash?

I did not create a restore point----this is the second year I renewed and no one has mentioned restore points----I have never had any success with restoring to a previous date before!!!!!!

It is Norton 360V3.

How do I temporarily disable Norton---the idea fills me with a sense of impending doom?

I run Norton AV on my home computer. I last ran a Symantec suite back when it was called Norton Systemworks. I know that the AV software allows the user to temporarily it off for 15 minutes, 1 hour, and up to 4 hours I believe. I don't know if your product, Norton 360v3, has that feature or not. There must be a Help file you can consult right? As long as you have had no problems in the past with viruses, malware or such I don't see a reason why you should be worried. Just don't connect to the Internet while conducting the test.

As a matter of procedure you should always create a Restore point before loading any new software. It is easy to do and does not take long. Consider it as insurance in the event anything goes wrong during installation or problems occur after loading.

Thanks Mark

Tried without success unfortunately!

Have tried to examine what has changed ----have noticed that when I open Autocad it reads on the command line"customisation group CUSTOM and I'm sure it used to read EXPRESS---would this have any bearing on the problem,and how would I change the customisation group?????

I have taken your advice on restore points to heart!

With my home laptop it will allow me to restore back to right before the most recent thing was added without creating a restore point first, maybe you could try that, if your wanting to go back.