Selecting a face

Singh is King

Hi all.

New to autocad and new to this site. I have drawn a cube and need to colour the faces with different colours. i can slect one face, however, when i select the second face, the whole cube gets selected.

please help!!:? how do i select individual faces?

My approach would be to use the BOX command to construct my cube and then apply a 3Dface to the side(s) I wanted to color. Then I would right-click on one of these faces and select Properties and change the Color setting. Try that.

Genius? Hmmm....I don't think so. Lucky is more like it. Should have come up with the solution on my first post. Haven't had my ten cups of coffee yet.:lol:

Your welcomed.:) Glad the suggestion accomplished what you wanted.

Solidedit color faces and click on a face.

Repeat. No extraneous geometry required.

I agree that no extra geometry is required, and you can apply color to faces with the Solidedit command, but the sooner one becomes acquainted with the material editor, and how to work with and apply materials, the better off they're going to be.

Singh, I assumed you were trying to apply color to individual faces from the Material Editor. Maybe not? :unsure:

Procedure to Create and Apply New Materials to Individual Faces

1. Open the Material Editor > RMAT command

2. Click the "Create New Material" button - (Don't use the first material slot. It is the default global material and will be applied to all objects in your scene)

3. Set the desired color

4. Click the "Apply Material to Objects" button

5. Hold down the Ctrl key and select one of the faces of the cube to apply the material to that face only.

By doing this, you now have complete control over the color you just created, and you can easily change the color, adjust the shininess, opacity, etc. You can also change the color to a bitmap image if you want, and your materials will be automatically updated on the model. You can also come back later and apply the same material to other parts of your model without having to remember what color you used, because it's still in the editor, waiting to be used again.