Create a part from a Step file

garycrampton

Inventor Suite 2009 eventually upgrading to 2010. Running Windows XP. I have v. large Step files, mostly generated from ProE files, that I would like to save as an Inventor part. What is the sequence of instructions to make a Step file into an Inventor Part?

you can open step files with inventor. no special steps needed. You may need to go to the menu at the top..... Tools>add-ins then make sure the autodesk STEP translator is loaded.

No problem opening the step files, but i need to use them in an inventor assembly. The ideal solution (if it is ideal) is to save the step file as an Inventor part. Then I can add it to my Inventor assembly.

Soon as I 'hit' options, it has 'greyed out'. At the moment tried opening up a Step file and I dont get the full 3D model, practically nothing. I'm heading towards a possible software glitch/re-install. What does anyone think?

before you click options have you already selected the file and has it shown up in the file name box? The parts will come in as dumb solids(your model tree will just list them as base with no feature recognition) but they will come in fine. it could be an issue with the step file.

• 2 weeks later...