Geometry Query

Laurel

Please find attached an image and .ipt file of a desk handle I am drawing.

I want to project (I assume loft) the constrained sketch (sketch 5) straight up in the direction of the Z axis so that it merges seamlessly with the bowed loft feature (loft 1) above it.

I'm not at all sure about how to do this seamlessly. If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Handle.zip

Handle.jpg

OK, here's what I've managed to do so far. Sorry it's an image and not an Inventor file, but my .zip exceeded the max filesize.

As you can see, I've managed to create a loft. The problem is that the upper loft sketch (in red) is simply an inaccurate 3d spline taken from the ends of the tangential rails shown. Whilst this will do for this example, I'd really like to know if there is a more accurate way to arrive at this upper loft sketch.

For example is there some way to make a 'projection' against the surface upon which the upper loft sketch is currently drawn, or perhaps a method to produce a loft based on a lower loft sketch and rails which uses an intersecting face in order to arrive at the upper loft sketch?

I realise I might be asking a lot, but I can't help feeling that there must be some more accurate way to do this than I have demonstrated here.

Anybody? :)

Handle 2.jpg

You could try offsetting a new workplane the height you want your loft, then create a (3D) sketch on the offset plane and use [3d intersection] to automatically create a sketch line around the perimeter of your handle on that plane.

This is a little more crude then your nice handle but hope it helps get the point across.

Offset plane (red arrow)

3d sketch line (yellow arrow)

intersect.jpg

There are probably much better ways of doing it especially with 2009 but give it a try.

KC