Help View Ports, Scales and Will To Live !!!

ace rimmer

Hi.

I have a drawing in 2009 ver that a friend gave me an A3 template for the sheet/title block layout. I cut and pasted my drawing from model space into a newly created drawing (which included the A3 sheet layout from my friend) model space and duly created all my sheets and view ports.

When i tried to add dimensions to the drawing I noted that my mates drawing was in imperial and not decimal that I like to use. I scaled the model space drawings to repflect decimal (using 1 inch = 25.4mm) and when I looked at each drawing tab the view ports were empty.

I tried to refresh the viewports but nothing appeared.

So I went into a view port that was previsouly scaled at 1:50 and typed :-

Zoom, 0.02xp Enter and the drawing appeared in the view port but was zoomed to a massive extent and most certainly not 1 to 50???

What have I done please tell me I dont have to re create all view ports ??

I have even reversed the scaling effect but this doesnt resolve my issue.

Can someone give me an idiots guide to re setting the entire drawing files units and scales or tell me a better way of getting back to where I was without re creating all view ports.

I asked a colleague who uses turbo cad (I think) and he has a button to switch between imperial and metric but cant see anything in autocad.

Have done the usual searches in here, other cad forums and google all to no avail and was advised (in another forum) to ask here !!!

Many thanks

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Type the command un or units. Then select your preferred unit.

Type the command d or dimstyle. Then Modify. Click the primary units tab, then select your preferred unit. YOU MUST CLICK SET CURRENT BEFORE YOU CLICK CLOSE.

Let me know if this helps. I'm new to the game also.

In model space, did you draw at 1:1 (ie true size) in what ever units you are uding?

If your units are set to decimal (not Architectural) and you draw in MM, you shouldn't need to re-scale any objects, but just change the dimstyle as TonyD suggested.

If you re-scaled the model objects, the dims will probably be way off.

As for the viewports,go to each one, select it and set the VPscale to the desired scale. You may need to re-center them.

Have you got a copy of the of the original drawing, if so, i suggest you start again.

first open the origunal and in the command bar type in UNITS

set them to decimal.

After that check that the drawing is drawn at 1:1 in modelspace.

If so select everything, and go EDIT > COPY WITH BASE POINT

enter 0,0 in comand bar.

Go to your new drawing and in model space go EDIT > PASTE TO ORIGINAL COORDINATES

then in paperspace set up your viewports at the required scale.

always go by the rule that you don't scale in model space, always draw at 1:1 :thumbsup: