Need custom linetype that includes rectangles

Proctor

Hello: I need to create a custom linetype that has a continual pattern of a line and then a rectangle (see pic) .

I have a worked with custom linetypes before - but only for entering in a string of Letters (e.g. "JT") combined with dashes of lines:

*JT_1.5 PER FOOT,ESTIMATOR JT_1.5 PER FOOT

A,0.,-1.3,["JT",STANDARD,S=.4689,R=0,X=-.625,Y=-.2314],-3.7

I wanted to know what's the best approach for doing my custom linetype with the rectangle. I downloaded some instructions for creating shapes to incorporate into custom line types. is this the best approach? Maybe there's a newer, better way?

thanks,

Proctor

Rectangle_linetype.jpg

No newer way that I know of... a shape is probably your best bet unless you can find and want to use a font with a rectangle as a character (look in Windows Character Map), possibly Wingdings2 character code 0xFA, try using 0.

the following is my line with a square

CableSyms.lin

*Genius 1,Genius 1
A,6.5,[GENIUS_1,CableSyms.shx,S=0.5],-2

and the shape file (CableSyms.shp) looks like

*004,7,GENIUS_1
001,024,040,04C,048,024,0

I can't remember how you compile the .shx file from the .shp but I know you have to.

The problem with this approach is that if somebody used DWG True View to open a drawing and doesn't have the .lin & .shx files in their search path, they just get dashed lines. Also if you etransmit a drawing, the font file isn't picked up by default.

Having said all that, I don't know of a better way of customising line types.

I can't remember how you compile the .shx file from the .shp but I know you have to.

The Compile command, but I don't think you need to if you use Express Tools' Mkshape command (probably the easiest way to make a shape).

The Compile command, but I don't think you need to if you use Express Tools' Mkshape command (probably the easiest way to make a shape).

really must look at that command. :)

Its been some time since we needed new shapes. I must have done a good job when I set out the special ones we regularly use.

I decided to use shapes exclusively in custom linetypes, even as text (express Tools' Txtexp command comes in handy). There was a problem with text styles that had a fixed height, also obliquing issues of text in the linetypes.

Thank you everyone for all your great inputs. I started a small tutorial last night "Applying Customization: Making Complex Linetypes - Part 2:"

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=2671814&linkID=9240615

Looking over all that you have said, and seeing how my shape must be a rectangle (not a square), I think this is the way to go.

Thanks again for your help.

Proctor

Hi Eldon - looks good; however, the users will need to use it for lots of curves.

I ended up creating it by creating a rectangle shape and it came out really nice!!!

here's a pic of it:

Thanks again to all for your help.

Proctor

Custom_Linetype_Rectangle.jpg