XREF Position

drayle

I am using AutoCAD 2010 LT. I am using an XREF as my border and title block and am looking for the best way to center it in paperspace when I insert it. While experimenting with coordinates, I noticed that my 0,0,0 is not even on the "paper". I have moved the UCS to a point on the paper and then reset it to World, but it always ends up to the left and down from the lower left hand corner of the shaded area that indicates the paperspace. Why is 0,0 out in left field?

I just made my titleblocks in the exact place I wanted them, then set the insertion point as 0,0,0. That way, when I xref it in at 0,0,0, it will always be right in the place I want. Then I just select a pagesetup and I'm good to go.

create a pagesetup for your layout, either use window (and select your border) or use extents (if you dont have anything floating in paperspace) and the shaded area will move to your border

chelsea1307, those are good work arounds, but they don't explain why I have the problem with the coordinates being off in the first place. I want to be able to reference things off of the coordinates for consistent placement and would like to get that problem straightened out. It just doesn't seem right that 0,0 doesn't appear on the representation of the paper. Thanks for your suggestion. I had never used the windowing feature in pagesetup so I did learn something.

When you open a new sheet (acad.dwt) and draw a line with the start point of 0,0,0 is it at the corner of the paper? My suggestions above, do not move the coordinates only the representation of the paper. If you insert/xref your border in at 0,0,0 and adjust your pagesetup to the border 0,0,0 never moved and you can still use it as a reference.

Ohhhhhh, I see. I moved my XREF with the lower left hand corner as the base point to 0,0 and then did the pagesetup using the window feature to window my xref with "center the plot" and whamo! The paper moved around the XREF instead of vice versa. That is great and solves my main problem. However, when I open a fresh drawing from my template and go to paperspace and start a line at 0,0 the point is off of the paper. It seems like a brand new drawing ought to put 0,0 in the corner of the paper or maybe in the corner of the printable space or something. Maybe I'm asking for too much? :-)

I have attached a screenshot in PDF. Notice how my 0,0 is not in the corner. I noticed that as I change paper sizes in pagesetup that this point is never relative to any special spot on the paper and is never on the paper itself. Its like AutoCAD just plops down a piece of paper without any regard to 0,0.

basepoint.pdf