How can I save a BLOCK to show up as dotted lines in a DWG file?

Spyder

I am fairly new to AutoCAD and am trying to save a BLOCK in a certain way but can't seem to get the final result I want. I am working in AutoCAD R14 (I know it's not the latest version, but that's all I have). Anyhow, I have set up a series of connecting splines that make up a client's company logo and am now trying to connect all of those lines to form a single object. I know that I have to use the BLOCK command to do so, however I'm not quite sure how to save the lines that make up the logo so that when I save and reopen the DWG file in question, the lines that will show will only be dotted lines which make up a single BLOCK object.

Could someone please give me step by step instructions on how to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

R14 huh? Is there a GROUP command is R14? It doesn't necessarily have to be a block.

If you want "dotted" lines why not use a dotted linetype? Doesn't R14 have one?

The Block command is rather straight forward. It's use is covered in your Help files. Use WBlock if you want to use this block in other drawings besides the one you're in now. WBlock writes the block definition to your hard drive as a dwg file. This block can then be used in other drawings by invoking the Insert command.

Let's assume your logo is on the screen. To create a block invoke the BLOCK command in your normal fashion. The Block Definition should appear on screen. First select the base point (where do you want AutoCAD to grab the block?). Next, select the objects (the logo). Indicate too whether you want to Retain the objects, Covert them to a block or Delete them when you're done with the BLOCK command. In Settings indicate your choices for Block unit, Scale uniformly and Allow Exploding. Add a Description if you'd like. Now click on the OK button. You just created a block. Feeling the joy yet?

Thanks for your response, ReMark. I tried the GROUP command and although all of the splines which make up the logo all form one object in the sense that they all "act as one", I am still able to see all of the end points which make up each spline segment. Is there a way of making these points disappear, so as to view the saved GROUP as one continuous single line?

BTW... I also tried the BLOCK command (more times than I care to recall), directly from the drop down menu (Draw -> Block -> Make...), but can't seem to be able to indicate my Settings for my choices for the Block unit, set Scale uniformly and allow Exploding as you point out. I am limited to only being able to set a Block name, select a Base Point, Select Objects, List all Block Names and Retain Objects from the "Block Definition" window. So unfortunately, I am not feeling the joy yet... :(

I was also wondering if perhaps I should not try to combine the two commands, ie. first GROUP everything and then create a BLOCK from the group to get rid of all the splines? Do you think that might work or am I just going crazy from starring at AutoCAD on my screen too long? LOL.

Am I missing something or just doing something completely wrong?

I don't have R14 loaded any more so maybe some of the items I mentioned were not part of the Block command back then.

Without seeing the drawing I can't quite picture what you're referring to regarding endpoints of splines. I did a test drawing using the Spline command and had no problem. Everything was nice and smooth.

Did you get the dotted line thing figured out?

I really don't see any advantage to Grouping everything and then creating a Block.

Are you using the correct layers? I assume you have a hidden layer? Therefore create the block on layer '0', then insert it on layer 'hidden' (whatever you have that listed as?)- the block should take on the properties of the layer it was inserted on.

ReMark, I think you are right. That AutoCAD BLOCK command pop up menu must have been updated since R14. I also realized that I didn't necessarily need the dotted lines after I finally successfully created the block. I was just seeing the dotted lines which actually represented a single object once all the splines had been connected from creating the block. However, I did figure out how to set the lines to dotted ones, prior to creating the block (if I ever need to) and now understand the difference between a block and wblock and how to use both.

GE13579, your solution to this problem was right on. I didn't have any other layers open before. However, once I created another layer, creating the block and copying it to the new layer quickly solved the problem.... :)

Thank you both very much for your input.... and yes, ReMark - I'm feeling the joy now! LOL.