Creating a Front Elevation for a house

Bobby Caverns

Hello,

I have drawn a 2-D floor-plan for a home.

I have searched the posts for some beginging insturctions about what commands to use, and how to create a front elevation for the home.

Although I have learned a lot through the posts on various aspects of AutoCAD, I still need to know how to begin to draw elevations for house plans (2-D). Can someone point a novice in the right direction, please.

With appreciation in advance.

Bobby

You would benefit from a good AutoCAD/architectural textbook. Visit your local bookstore or look online.

To do an elevation, as others have already mentioned, one projects lines from a plan view but you must also have some idea in mnd of what type of roof you will be using and its pitch to complete the elevation. Do you have or know this information? What kinds of windows will you be using? Do you have any idea what type of cladding will be used?

I don't get it. You know the width, length, height don't you?

Floor pan should be easy.

Elavation view.

As ReMark stated, "You would benefit from a good AutoCAD/architectural textbook. Visit your local bookstore or look online."

The good place to start would be with marks for your heights. Start with your finished floor level by doing a small horizontal line, then offset the line for each mark needed IE finished floor, plate height, upper level finished floor if it is a two story house. and Heel. Then create the lines from your floor plan down to these lines. That is the start of the elevation. The way to draw elevations in Autocad 2-d is going to be very similar to drawing elevations on the board with pen and paper. The difference is the tools involved.

Recommended books:

Architectural Drafting and Design by Jefferies and Madsen.

Architectural Graphic Standards by Ramsey and Sleeper.

Technical Graphics Communication by Bertoline and Webe.

AutoCAD 2007 and AutoCAD LT 2007 No Experience Required by McFarland.

These are all probably available at Amazon although the first two might be found on the shelf at Borders.