Coloured plans

Well if you want to go really fancy, print it out and use some quality pencils, but otherwise use hatches, experiment with them, try combining them with solid fills and gradient fills, try to use light tones and very thin lineweights for hatches (I use 0.05mm), dark tones and thick lineweights make the drawing look really heavy and smudgy. I use solids mostly for shadows or small detailed objects, I recommend using a dense hatch instead, it will look warmer and nicer, use gradient fills for glass, sky, or some parts that need to look deep, 3d or glossy.

You also might want to check out "Autodesk Impression" in case you need to color lots of drawings in the future.

Ups, my bad, always too quick to jump straight to the answer and no time to check the specs (grown so used to the full autocad version that I sometimes forget that LT also exists). It's not available in LT as far as I know :(

Yes that would be a good idea, gives a lot of control over the appearance.

It more or less depends on the complexity and size of the drawing. If it is a road plan for example, it might be too big to color in photoshop, not only time consuming, but also demanding on the pc system resources, I think.

Thanks for the input.

Hatching in AutoCAD is just too time consuming plus it increases the file size and is a pain with furniture plan layouts and large areas.

Photoshop seems to need Illustrator to import the CAD plans with crisp enough line quality, making that solution too fiddly and expensive and I can't see how to do the job in Illustrator alone.

Impressions could be the ideal programme, quick and uncomplicated but it seems not to be available stand-alone. Can you offer any advice on how to buy Impressions on a tight budget?

Alternatively, is M-Colour worth exploring?