changing background colour of workspace

Polly64

Hi

This may seem like a very daft question to ask....but how do I change the background colour of my workspace from white to black? I'm using autocad 2009 and according to a book I'm using, I'm supposed to have an icon in the "windows elements" which will enable me to change the background setting.....but the icon isn't there!! Am I missing something? I could continue with the white background but a black background would probably be more relaxing on the eyes....

The book I'm using is purposely for Autocad 2009 and yet I've noticed that there are some differences....i.e. some icons or functions mentioned on the book are nowhere to be found in my version of autocad. Is this normal??

Tools - Options, select the Display tab, click on the Colors button, select (I'm assuming here) 2D model space, and click on the drop down in the color area to pick a new color.

I use a black background in model space too.

Glen

Tools - Options, select the Display tab, click on the Colors button, select (I'm assuming here) 2D model space, and click on the drop down in the color area to pick a new color.

I use a black background in model space too.

Glen

Thanks for the quick reply, Glen! :)Sorry for the bother but i managed to sort it out in the meantime! I spent ages trying to figure it out and after posting my question, I found a related post and followed the instructions there....and hey, presto! it worked!!! But thanks, all the same.....much appreciated!

A black background looks so much better especially if there are alot of details on the screen....

Isn't a black background quite on the opposite - bad for eyes? I used a very light green background or a very light vintage faded paperlike beige background all the time, and most of my workmates use white background, would like to hear some advice on this. :geek:

I find that the white background is too bright for me. The instructor at the community college that I tooks some classes at likes a gray background - sez its the least likely to trigger his epilepsy.

Glen

Isn't a black background quite on the opposite - bad for eyes? I used a very light green background or a very light vintage faded paperlike beige background all the time, and most of my workmates use white background, would like to hear some advice on this. :geek:

Agreed.

When we used Acad first (r10) with huge graphics monitor ! the background colour was black. The layout of our office meant the screens backed on to the south facing windows despite the venetian blinds. I always felt that staring at a black screen - pupils wide open - against a highly light window was not good optics / ergonomics - but we survived. One chap in the office was almost paranoid about e-m radiation from his screen - pity he was a bit short sighted.

As soon as it was possible I used a grey background even though this isn't the best for displayng some colours.