Dynamic Block Improvements

YZ

This is one of the first dynamic blocks I ever made. I look back on it now and think it could be improved slightly.

1. Double clicking opens the dialogue box to edit the attribute. But I still need to click "OK" to close it. I have once seen a block that could type the attribute and hit enter to close the dialogue. Does anyone know how to change that? It would make it much quicker.

2. When using the rotate parameter the rubber band from the grip is slightly out of alignment with the arrow. It's not a big deal, I can certainly use it as is, but it seems good to me if I could set it to run straight along the arrow so there is a direct correlation between cursor position and arrow direction. Any ideas?

Thanks

PHOTO ASPECTS.dwg

Point 1- sorry I don't know much about attributes...

Point 2- do you mean like below?

That is exactly what I mean. Thanks. How did you do that? I suppose it was easy!

I just moved the arrow by the tail end to the circle centre, then moved again using intersection of the arrow with the circle.

You should then recreate the parameter and action but I just rotated the parameter and re did the action.

Hope this helps?

Edit- the quickest way to do this from scratch would be to create the block pointing at 0° (ie horizontal), then rotate the whole thing by the angle you are showing the arrow to be. Then add the dynamic features.

• 2 weeks later...
I just moved the arrow by the tail end to the circle centre, then moved again using intersection of the arrow with the circle.

You should then recreate the parameter and action but I just rotated the parameter and re did the action.

Hope this helps?

Edit- the quickest way to do this from scratch would be to create the block pointing at 0° (ie horizontal), then rotate the whole thing by the angle you are showing the arrow to be. Then add the dynamic features.

It does help, thanks. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had the luxury of tinkering at work until today.

Tell me if this should now be a new thread, but I have a question to anyone about the same block.

When the attribute gets to 3 figures has anyone worked out a neat way to expand the shape around an attribute to match its size automatically? (in this case expand the circle and trim or hide the leader.)

• 2 years later...
1. Double clicking opens the dialogue box to edit the attribute. But I still need to click "OK" to close it. I have once seen a block that could type the attribute and hit enter to close the dialogue. Does anyone know how to change that? It would make it much quicker.

I discovered the solution to this last week on Kate Morrical's LT Unlimited blog: http://ltunlimited.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/05/index.html

Ctrl+Enter closes the attribute editor. Also works in MTEXT. This is definitely a time saver for me.

That is a nice tip, thanks. :beer:

I just use ESC to exit my TEXT FORMATTING DIALOG.

but just beware, that works fine in 2011 but if you press in 2008 the MTEXT box closes without saving any typing changes.

Oh yeah. I do use the new feature of setting ESC to exit and save changes from MTEXT. However, the more I think of it the less I will use it because I prefer consistency and ESC is helpful to exit single line text if you realise you don't want changes.