Break a DWG into sections

wabosfishing

:)How do I take a 1km job ( street drawing), and break it into 4 individual drawings with a titlepage ( titlepage already made) and without breaking up my original DWG in model space

Welcome Wabo.

You need to look at Xrefs.

You would create a xref of your orginal dwg and use the XREF command to insert your site into th eother 4 drawings.

Go to the help file and type in XREF or look on this great site for a tutorial on how to set up xrefs.

Thanks for the quick reply, this was the first time I posted as most questions have already been asked, I just wasn't sure how to seach.

Thanks Again

Do you have to have 4 different drawings? Can you just do 4 different Layouts each for a separate part of the building? Once you set up the titlepage on the first Layout, you just copy the first layout to a new layout, and pan the drawing down the street.

Glen

I only have 1 drawing, but it is 1km in length. I wanted to break it up into 250m sections with a title page and still be able to make changes it the original.

Even if you use it as an xref, you still need to use the layout tabs and viewports to create the 4 different drawings. This is very common, use a layout tab 'per' drawing, insert your title block and make a viewport, set the scale, etc. As mentioned, once you get one layout tab completed to how you prefer it, then right-click on it and select the 'move or copy' option, and check the 'create a copy' box and where the 'before layout' is, use the (move to end), rename it to the next layout number and continue.

You can make changes to either drawing, if you use it as an xref or you keep it in the same drawing. It's better to make the main drawing an xref, then create a new drawing (with your 4 - 250m sections) in the layout tabs. BTW, I worked for the government designing highways for 10 years. Using viewports is the only way it will work for what you want, easily anyway.

Thats the beauty of having multiple layout tabs with one Model tab. If you find that one 10m section of your street needs more detail than all the others, you just copy a layout tab and zoom in on that section in the viewport. Your title page should be in Layout space and all you would have to change would be the title, drawing number and perhaps the scale.

This method drastically reduces file size since the drawing itself only resides in one place. The extra pages are simply windows through which you view different parts of the same drawing. This also makes editing the drawing much easier since all changes are made in the same file, just click on the model tab and you can edit the drawing - rather than remembering which file has what parts.

As Cadologist said, even if you do Xrefs, you need to use Layouts.

Glen

• 1 year later...

1km easy 6.6km that requires quite a few layout tabs.

Also in your layout tabs you can set a individual ucs for that section of road this allows you rotate the road to an angle to align with the sheet thus reducing wasted space on the sheet just have ucs road1 road2 road3 etc then within viewport UCS R road1 plan and set scale, the model is not rotated only the viewport image!

hi bigal,

I remember I ve been drawing plan for fiber optic network implantation with same problematic as you describe, so now I understand better what is your need. The plugin I adviced you does not enable it for now. But I guess it's possible to make it suitable for your specific need:

break up a long road map into individual presentation with specific ucs and size but same scale and send that easily to your favorite ploter with a titlepage and legend.

The plugin doesn't use layout tabs ( paper space presentation ) but block in model space that may contain your title page and legend. the dwg drawing stay as one piece. the plugin could manage dynamic block in order to fit roads geometry and that you could rotate to fit the direction of the road. Then You could have as many piece of road as you need and that for any scale and any lengths of road.

I guess you also need cross referencing between neighbouring pieces of road?

As It sounds like challenging experimental stuff may be you should contact directly the developper of the plugin at his contact adress

ckado