Locking paperspace entities to Modelspace entities

Ells

Our company is finally starting to use AutoCAD 2010 :)but they want it to act like AutoCAD 2000:cry:. One of the problems in using paperspace is that the keyed notes or dimensions that are used in paperspace will be left pointing to nothing if the view port gets moved. Is there a way to lock those notes and dimensions in paperspace to the modelspace that they are referencing?

Our company is finally starting to use AutoCAD 2010 :)but they want it to act like AutoCAD 2000:cry:. One of the problems in using paperspace is that the keyed notes or dimensions that are used in paperspace will be left pointing to nothing if the view port gets moved. Is there a way to lock those notes and dimensions in paperspace to the modelspace that they are referencing?

You could do this in 2000?

LoL

It's hilarious that you state your company has switched to 2010 but want it to act like 2000, and yet, you have 2004 as your supplied version under your avatar.

Sorry, I just thought it was funny.

Actually if the truth were known they would be happier using a pencil and paper. Any of AutoCAD's improvements have been viewed as threats. I have to work in two worlds, where I am and where I would like us to be. Change here comes extremely slow and anyone who suggests using the features that AutoCAD has is looked at with suspicion. I don't think 'hilarious' applies here it is described better as 'frustration'. Other than that I love my job, (another paradox).

If you do dimensioning and leader callouts in paperspace with dimscale=0, they should follow the model space entities if the viewport is moved; you may need to move the leader's text.

If you do dimensioning and leader callouts in paperspace with dimscale=0, they should follow the model space entities if the viewport is moved; you may need to move the leader's text.

Ohhhhh, now I understand what it was you were looking for. :oops: I'm stupid.

I found a way to accomplish what I wanted. I used the "Group" command and then selected all the entities in PS including the VP. Is anyone aware of any downsides to using "Group"?

I could not imagine having a downside to using groups. The only thing that I could possibly think someone could consider as a downside is having the 'Object group' checked in the Selection Modes section in options under the Selection tab. If that is checked then everything that is in a group is selected when you use a command on one part/entity of the grouped entities.

I have found it very useful but I always turn off 'Object grouping' when I'm done with what I was using it for to keep someone that has never used it before from scratching their head when they try to copy one entity of the grouped objects.