Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Make sure you have increased the precision of your angle units. If you are using Decimal angles then try increasing the Precision to four places (0.0000). Now using either the List command or Properties select one of the two lines you're trying to match up. Note the angle. Select the second line and note its angle as well. Subtract one angle from the other and note the difference. That should be the angle of rotation you will provide AutoCAD when prompted.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Quote Originally Posted by alisonn View Post

3. Is there another way to rotate the line to the same angle as another line (ie make it parallel) where the lines dont start at the same point.

Is this possible? or do you alway have to MANUALLY superimpose the lines over each other?

Thanks very much and something I have pondered over for along time.
    If you set up a UCS based on the other line. Then use my method with ORTHO turned on. It may sound long winded, but if you start the UCS command, then use option "e" (for entity), and click on the line. It is not one of the stated options and AutoCAD may have cancelled this undocumented useful option, but it works for me. Then to cancel the UCS afterwards, use the default World option.

Using
    AutoCAD 2009

I Have been using autocad for a quite a while and so far have not figured this one out.

1.How do I rotate a line so that is comes horizontal. Ie on the line exactly.

I need this 'skill' when I bring in my ordnance survey plans. The angle of the house plans come in at an angle and I just want to get them into a orthagonal view ie all the lines either horizontal or vertical.

Similarly

2. how do I align a line ( Ie this may be in relation to rotating a whole drawing. Like especially when drawing a section through a roof and getting the angle of the roof right) that is at one angle to align precisely over another. Currently I measure the angle and rotate the angle- but. it never lines up precisely- there must be an easier way.
    The other way I try is by trying to align it but when I hit the mouse, invariable it jolts a bit and it is all a bit of a hit an miss affair.

I would look forward to hearing from anyone who has an alternative and more accurate solution.
    The easiest way to manually make a line horizontal is to mirror it and then rotate it, using any 2 point on the mirrored line as base and reference. If you are drawing a cut through a roof and know the slope I would draw a 12 by what ever the slope is triangle and use that.

If you want a line to match the angle of another, make it horizontal as above and rotate using two points on the line you are matching as reference points.

Hope this helps!
    "What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!"

Computer Details
    rkent's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    WIN7 PRO 64bit
    Computer:
    Dell OptiPlex 7020
    CPU:
    i7 4790 3.6GHz
    RAM:
    16GB, 1600MHz, DDR3 non-ECC 2x8GB
    Graphics:
    AMD Radeon 2GB
    Primary Storage:
    Samsung 480Gb SSD
    Monitor:
    Dell 24" FS (2x)
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    rkent's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Facilities Design - Semi-conductor manufacturing
    Discipline
    Mechanical
    Details
    Designer: Process Piping, P&ID's, Machine Part Design, Planning / General Arrangement. Facilities Management. Drafting: Electrical, Controls, Architectural.
    Using
    Mechanical 2017

I Have been using autocad for a quite a while and so far have not figured this one out.

1.How do I rotate a line so that is comes horizontal. Ie on the line exactly.

I need this 'skill' when I bring in my ordnance survey plans. The angle of the house plans come in at an angle and I just want to get them into a orthagonal view ie all the lines either horizontal or vertical.

Similarly

2. how do I align a line ( Ie this may be in relation to rotating a whole drawing. Like especially when drawing a section through a roof and getting the angle of the roof right) that is at one angle to align precisely over another. Currently I measure the angle and rotate the angle- but. it never lines up precisely- there must be an easier way.
    The other way I try is by trying to align it but when I hit the mouse, invariable it jolts a bit and it is all a bit of a hit an miss affair.

I would look forward to hearing from anyone who has an alternative and more accurate solution.
    UCS, Object, pick line. Set Ortho on, use CHange command, pick other line, pick an end point.
    Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude, in Los Angeles. - The Stranger, The Big Lebowski

Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD 2016

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I am new to AutoCAD, and have been just playing with the various buttons before doing a beginners course soon.
    Had a lot of trouble rotating a line to be parallel with another ( reference ) line, but finally worked it out.

Hope this helps someone:

AutoCAD 2016
    Rotate an object to be parallel with a reference line

1. Click on Rotate in Modify panel
    2. Click on object to be rotated
    3. Enter
    4. Click on Base Point on object to be rotated
    5. Click on [Reference] in Command Line
    6. Click on Base point and End point of object to be rotated
    7. Click on [Points] in Command Line
    8 . Click on both ends of reference line that is to be used as a parallel direction

The object to be rotated will be automatically rotated to be parallel with the reference line