Pipeline Linetype

YZ

Does anyone know a way to build or download a linetype that can display as a thick dashed line surrounded by 2 parallel lines on either side of it?

We use them to denote underground stormwater pipes in our survey models.

Currently I need to manually set each line to a polyline, give it a global width, and then draw a DLINE of the same width from endpoint to endpoint. The down side is that not only is it laborious, I also have to set the Z values to zero, so we lose the elevation feature of the pipe in the model.

Ideally it would need to have enough functionality to alter the spacing of the dashes, and the width of the line.

• 2 weeks later...
A similar linetype was discussed recently-

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42542

I didn't follow why you have to set elevation to zero; I expect whatever the reason you'd have the same problem with a mline, complex linetype, lisp solution, etc..

Our models are 3D terrain models where the stormwater pipes are located by survey at each end, giving the 2 endpoints a z value.

When I use Polyline Edit to create them into polylines and then change the global width, if they have an elevation then the global width makes the lines longer, not thicker. Therefore they have to be 2D polylines, with an elevation of zero.

The link to the other post was helpful, so thanks for that. However we only use LT in our office, so I'm hoping for a linetype definition rather than a lisp routine. I know it's a clumsy work around.

I don't quite see what you've tried to do-

if you have 3dpolylines, you can't give them a linetype other than continuous, or a width. So 2dpolylines are your only "polyline" option. It doesn't have to be a zero elevation, just all at the same elevation

You could use a Mline, defined with 2 outer continuous lines, several closely spaced dashed inner lines to give the effect of a thick dashed polyline. Hmmmm but that has to be 2d also. And oops, LT doesn't do Mlines :)

So what about a complex linetype? I suppose it could be done, would need two alternating shapes, a solid rectangle and 2 parallel lines. The solid would be made up of closely spaced line segments. Any volunteers?

I use a free program however, largest pipe is 16" Ø.

Nice for me 'cause I work with "plastic" pipe, valves, tanks (PE).

You might try the pipe manufacturer for *.dwg files or an AutoCAD add-on program. :wink:

The 3D version, omits the center line. Compare the two attached *.dwg files.

Pipe_Line.dwg

Pipe_Line_3D.dwg

I use a free program however, largest pipe is 16" Ø.

Nice for me 'cause I work with "plastic" pipe, valves, tanks (PE).

You might try the pipe manufacturer for *.dwg files or an AutoCAD add-on program. :wink:

The 3D version, omits the center line. Compare the two attached *.dwg files.

Hi Tankman

I would be interested in previewing the software, do you have a link.:roll:

• 4 weeks later...
Recieved the CD from Charlotte Pipe. Suprised I did not think they would ship to the UK. :) Excellent service!

Great to know you received the CD, I too am delighted knowing they shipped to the UK. One never knows! 8)

• 1 year later...

Has anyone been able to develop the linetype mentioned above, "a thick dashed line surrounded by 2 parallel lines on either side of it"? I'm using AutoCADLT 2011, so I can't use any lisp applications.

pirob, where are you posting from? Just curious.

What would be the largest pipe diameter you require? Material?

Im in Australia, draftsman for a surveying company. Basicaly need a pipe linetype, that can have the line type scale adjusted to change the pipe size. I generaly work with stormwater pipe in sizes from 0.3m to 0.9m, but sometimes bigger pipes. Material veries, but is usualy concrete, and can be designated in text.

Thanks in advance if you area able to help.:wink:

As a engineer and autocad user from ver 1.4 this type of drain line has existed for years theres lots of versions unfortunately these are all lisps, basicly you must draw in 2d as the 3d will stuff up your pipe spacing. We try to show the dash length as an actual pipe length so you can visually work out how many pipes are required.

Plus and minuses if you draw the pipe dash as solids (automated) it can not be simply trimmed, plus is you can do smart things like cut a pipe where it meets a pit.

More recently I have gone back to simplicity and use 2 lines plus a dashed pline the pline though is a dash line with equal spacing I will post a copy when I get to work (not available from autodesk) you just play with ltscale to represent pipe lengths. This is probably quickest way just offset cl line pe width etc a 300 pipe is 180 offset 300 pline width.

Now I think about it for LT just draw all the pipes with correct linetype and scale cut and paste into dwg use align to set angle and just extend to new pit. (or just have in your DWT)

I will post some lisps as well for metric pipes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input BIGAL. That has given me a few ideas already. It feels like linetypes are one of the main drawbacks of using AutoCAD. I have been able to get a hold of some lines from Microstation DGN files, though I cannot alter the definition file because they did not come with a .lin file.

To be clear for anyone else who happens to be reading this post, what we are hoping to find is a solution to make a linetype that can look like this:

dPrApvr+0Xf51vfzu9oFN8f2l7fKv6+V3t79xE0Cdh88UAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIAxPwbyrBNQA0fxAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Currently at best we convert the main line to polyline, assign the global width as the diameter of the pipe, then draw a Double Line of the same width at the endpoints. The mission is streamline this into a single linetype.

Sorry, the image I tried to paste into the text did not work. Now I cannot get the "insert image" to work anyway. It will only allow an image from a URL, not from my harddrive.

I will work on it, hopefully our word pictures are enough for people to understand for now.

Here is some linetypes for a equal length line type this will work with Lt you just need to change the linetype scale factor and PE it to the required width to reflect pipe length & size just add the code to your ACAD.lin file.

*EQUAL1000,_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
A,0.30,-0.30
*EQUAL200,_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
A,1.50,-1.50
*EQUAL100,_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
A,3.00,-3.00

Again draw a short sample length of each pipe size say 10m long with correct scale etc and just copy and paste into current drawing offset to correct size then explode out side two lines all done.