Changing Measurements of Dimensions

tmh222

Hi,

Before anyone tells me that a thread about this exists, I know, but there was no answer given.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how to change the measurement of a dimension in autocad 2010. I'm used to just being able to click on the dimension and type in a new number, and then the shape will adjust itself. I don't want a text over-ride, I actually want the shape to adjust to the new length.

Maybe it's just my drawing style, but I find it easy when I'm putting a simple shape (a 10ft line for example), to just draw a line, dimension it, and then just type in the new dimension. I figure I use dimensions for nearly everything anyway, and it's a simple solution. I know it's not the best, but it's what I'm used to.

So, are there other types of dimensions that I can use that will allow me to adjust them?

It seems like a horrible idea that you can't change dimension measurements, but I guess there could be some sort of logic behind that. It just seems a lot easier to adjust kill two birds with one stone (dimension and adjust line length at the same time).

you can "force" a dimension to be something it's not but it wont change the length of the line, so it's basically cheating and i dislike when people do this...

In 2010 they have constraints, the same thing as a measurement instead you draw a line or rectangle without doing it to scale or size. Then by placing these constraints on it it forms to what you want... This is new to 2010 and still is kinda glitchy and lags a lot if you have too many showing at once. But its trying to follow what solid works does and how people are drawing now.

People use to draw using coordinate system and so when you placed a line you made it the length you wanted it as you did it, now people sketch out their drawings and then want to put measurements on them and have the drawing conform to the measurements....

Plain dimensions can be associated to an object so as the size of the object changes the dims adjust, not the other way around. With dimconstraints you can have it work the way you want.

For example, say I draw a box, place some things on top of it. Then I decide I don't like the height of the box, my only way to solve this is by stretching it or something of that nature?

With dimconstraints (sorry got the terms all confused) you could just change one number (ie the height constraint), or if you link it to something it could possibly change with that other item.

With normal dimensions you could either scale it, stretch it, or redraw it.. The only ways i know to change something drawing without using constraints.

also dimconstraints can make 2 lines parallel or perpendicular, what ever you want... so if you change one the other would change in respect. Some bugs here too when you have many things all constrained on each other.

Don't know 2010 yet but looks like you mix it with Inventor or Solidworks.

Wait for another voices.

Sounds exactly like the function that I need. As with the OP, I would've thought it would've been so much easier if you could just type in a new measurement. AutoCAD has the "Measure" tool which likes to display accurate measurements, so it would be intuitive if you could easily set these values in the first place.

Guess I'll stick with the scale and stretch tools as required.

Sounds exactly like the function that I need. As with the OP, I would've thought it would've been so much easier if you could just type in a new measurement. AutoCAD has the "Measure" tool which likes to display accurate measurements, so it would be intuitive if you could easily set these values in the first place.

Guess I'll stick with the scale and stretch tools as required.

You have been informed that dimconstraints and geoconstraints will get you where you want to be so why stick with scale and stretch?

You have been informed that dimconstraints and geoconstraints will get you where you want to be so why stick with scale and stretch?

Was trying to attempt to do what people would have done before 2010. Tried out dimconstraint and geoconstraint and I love it!

This is probably really bad for a CAD user to rely on this, but it's so much easier than the other commands!

also dimconstraints can make 2 lines parallel or perpendicular, what ever you want... so if you change one the other would change in respect. Some bugs here too when you have many things all constrained on each other.

Is it possible to do dimconstraint on two parallel lines, such that they're a certain distance apart?

Was trying to attempt to do what people would have done before 2010. Tried out dimconstraint and geoconstraint and I love it!

This is probably really bad for a CAD user to rely on this, but it's so much easier than the other commands!

Is it possible to do dimconstraint on two parallel lines, such that they're a certain distance apart?

Well I think it is important to understand and use other commands to do your initial drafting work. But there is nothing wrong with utilizing the constraints that Autocad provides.

Yes it is possible... you will be using the "Aligned" Dimconstraint to keep the lines at that same distance apart.

Yes it is possible... you will be using the "Aligned" Dimconstraint to keep the lines at that same distance apart.

I guess you can't survive by just relying on the GUI. Managed to use the "Aligned > 2lines" command and now it looks like I can define most of the things that I need.

Thanks to all for help.