object placement within CAD

NeonFireLights

I'm part of a small team which has been asked to develop an overlay application in VB6 which must mark faults for a risk assessment.

The main issue is that when a marking is placed it must be added to an external database. Markings must also exist on their own sets of layers, for example a layer containing building issues and a layer containing fire issues.

At the moment we have two plans of attack: We can use a vector control to create layers with markers and export them to DXF and then to DWG, either through the openAlliance free converter or handing them directly back to the clients. However the activeX components available for this are expensive and in general do not seem reliable when dealing with DXF files exported from DWG.

The other option is to use a raster control and create a listing of markers placed which can be added to a file client side using AutoLISP, either placing the marks relative to the extents of the piece or to a set of objects within it. How feasible is this approach, or does anyone have any suggestions of a better way?

(As much as I'd love the excuse to learn a LISP dialect.)

I'd really appreciate your advice.