block replace and dynamic blocks

Glen Smith

I've come across what seems to me an odd behavior with dynamic blocks.

I've inserted some dynamic blocks that have a flip and rotate function. Some of them have been rotated and/or flipped. I then needed to change them from one block to another (I inserted a Camera Fixed rather than a Camera Pan Tilt Zoom).

If I do a quick select, I get all the blocks - properties tells me that they all have the same name. When I do a BlockReplace - only the blocks that have not been rotated or flipped get replaced. When I select a rotated block within the BlockReplace command via the Pick button I get an error saying:

Select objects: *U621

Invalid characters in block name.

The following characters are invalid:

\/"*|,=`

But if I select that block and check the properties, it shows the blocks name as the name I expect rather than the *U621 block name. So apparently, once you change the flip state or rotation of a dynamic block AutoCAD sort of changes the block name so you can't use the blockreplace command on it.

Has anyone else found this, or am I doing something wrong?

Glen

that is normal behaviour. The name you see is the base block. When you apply an action that particular instance gets an anonymous name to show its modified state but retains the source block name too.

I'm guessing that you could have problems if you tried BLOCKREPLACE on a block where the replacement block doesn't contain identical parameters so this is a good compromise.

I have experienced this by simply copying and pasting a block. The original block will retain it's dynamic abilities and the pasted block with have a name similar to the *U621. I don't know what causes this, but the only way I have been able to fix it is to recreate the block on another computer and email it to my work computer. Now I can copy and paste the block as many times as I want, regardless of what dynamic state it is in, and it retains the name a dynamic abilities.

I have no idea why it works, but it does.

• 4 years later...

Same problem here. Found a solution I think.

Select the blocks you want to replace, use RESETBLOCK command, then do the REPLACEBLOCK procedure (REPLACEBLOCK command, select old block, select new block) and you are done.

You`ll have to change the dynamic properties yourself after this, but at least it will replace the blocks.