How to import a tif file for tracing.

td88

Since you're using Autocad LT, you cannot insert images in a conventional manner. You will either have to insert them as OLE objects, using the INSERTOBJ command and do the whole paste from Paint procedure, or you can insert your image into Word and then drag and drop it into your Autocad drawing. This will also insert your image as an OLE object. or you can try this alternative, courtesy of my friend Nukecad who posted this on another forum.

Insert the attached drawing into your drawing as a block,

Explode it,

Call up the Image manager (IMAGE command),

Click on the image name NEW and change it to something else,

In the "Image Found At" box browse to the image you want to load,

Open,

Save Path,

OK.

**(Note- this will be in a slightly different place in the image manager depending on your Autocad version)

If you need to load more than one image into the same drawing then make sure that you have changed 'NEW' to something else and repeat the above.

This has loaded images into all the versions of LT that I have tried up to 2008

I have not tried this myself, but if Nuke says it works, I believe him. So give it a try and let us know how it goes.

BLANK-IMAGE.dwg

Thanks for the plug Cad64.

However the drawing that you attached is in 2007 format so anyone with an earlier version would not be able to use it.

Here is the same thing but saved as 2000 format so most people should be able to load it.

Edit-

I've just noticed that some LT versions dont seem to let you change the name in the image manager.

If this is the case with yours then you will only be able to load one image.

BLANK-IMG.dwg

There is another option if you have an older version of LT (Pre 2004 I think).

There is a 'back door' in the image manager in these earlier versions that lets you load images.

Open the image manager (IMAGE command).

Press Alt+A (The Alt and the A keys at the same time)

The file select dialogue opens to let you load an image.

Notice you have LT 2006

We had both LT and autocad and found all sorts of head aches with LT and images even down to getting a patch from Autodesk to try to fix it, basicly if you added the image using full Autocad not a problem when viewing in LT if inserted in LT all sorts of problems.

Hope this is not a problem for you.

I have a tif file of a floor plan I would like to underlay and trace. What command do I use to do this?

Can you post the image? :unsure:

Perhaps you could print the image to a *.pdf.

Convert the *.pdf to a *.dxf file and open in AutoCAD.

Lots of junk in the conversion but, can be cleaned up.

You will need to scale the *.dxf file to a known dimension before working with it.

I do this routine fairly often if I'm short of time and need to get movin'.