Laptop for Autocad

nudasveritas

Hi: I am buying a laptop to use Autocad/SolidWorks and I have a budget of $800-$1000. This isn't meant for large project files, just medium sized work.

The ASUS N70SV-B1 has: $999

Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz (64 bit) (3mb l2 cache)

4 gigs ddr2 (not ideal)

Geforce 130m (1gn ddr2 - not ideal)

320gig hd (sata-7200rpm)

vs.

MSI GX720-224CA $900

vs

core 2 duo p7350 2 ghz (3mb l2 cache)

4 gigs ddr2

geforce 9600 GT (512 ddr3)

320 gig hd (5200rpm)

vs.

HP Pavilion DV7-3060CA

AMD Turion™ II Ultra Dual-Core M600 2.40ghz (64 bit 2mb l2 cache)

4 gigs ddr2 ram (but: expansion to 8 )

500 gb (sata 7200 rpm)

Mobility Radeon HD 4530 (ddr2 512, benches lower by far than the other two)

I'd go for the ATI Radeon HD 4650 but I can't find any laptops in the price point I'm looking for with it. I'd really appreciate some help, I just want to make sure what I buy is compatible. Thank you!

- Mike

For the computer to simply work, there are good lists on Autodesks homepage on what the system requirements are. I assume that you can find the same on SolidWorks homepage. I would go more on the "suggested" and not so much on the "minimum"

For the computer to function really really well, that is another question. For instance if you look at my profile, I have listed my laptop that I run Autocad 2010 and Inventor 2010 on with minimal problems. Other than that there are quite a few threads here about laptop-specs, I would start by checking Similar Threads at the bottom of this page.

Good Luck :)

nudasveritas, welcome to the forums! Where are you posting from?

I've had it easy using AutoCAD '05 and '07 on Lenovo's Thinkpad™ laptops.

If portability is part of your need, small screen. I use crystal clear 14" laptop screens. My CAD work is also minimal, plan and elevation views.

On occasion, 4000 kb, usually much less. 'Tween 200-1000 kb's.

I play with 3D when the mood hits me but, have yet to have any problems.

As Tiger states above, "go more on the 'suggested' than the 'minimum.'"

Have fun exploring for your purchase! Good luck!

2010 runs best under Win7. I'd suggest the 64-bit laptop (your 2010 is 64-bit isn't it?). I'd lean towards the laptop with the 7200 rpm hard drive. Anything less than that is too slow in my opinion.

2010 runs best under Win7. I'd suggest the 64-bit laptop (your 2010 is 64-bit isn't it?). I'd lean towards the laptop with the 7200 rpm hard drive. Anything less than that is too slow in my opinion.

I agree with ReMark, "7200 rpm hard drive."

However, I think the response time is negligible, I don't think you'll notice the slower HDD. Memory, graphics, storage capacity, keep these BIG three in mind when making your purchase.

I can't complain. I have two SCSI drives. One is 15,000 rpm and the slow one is 10,000 rpm. LOL!

Very nice! Excellent! Do you have an opportunity to blink?

I tend to think of my laptop most, desktop is a different story.

Dual HDD's, both 7200 rpm's. Myt server HDD is also 7200 rpm, works.

Backup, backup, backup.

Currently, waitin' for spring trainining. This cold has been 'round too long. Time to heat things up a bit! :twisted:

Tankman:

Do you really think a 5400 rpm drive is no better/worse than a 7200 rpm drive? My feeling is that a user working with a large CAD drawing might notice a difference between the two.

Tankman:

Do you really think a 5400 rpm drive is no better/worse than a 7200 rpm drive? My feeling is that a user working with a large CAD drawing might notice a difference between the two.

I'm guessing one would notice the HDD speed, I don't.

My files are small compared to some.

Tanks, pipe, valves, plan 'n elevation views. I have not experienced any difference 'tween the laptop or desktop except the 36" monitor wall mounted, tilt 'n swivel, for my work station.