Marking multiples hole centres

Stanier

Hi everybody- I am working on a drawing using AutoCad 2000 where I wish to mark off a number of holes at 17/32" centres along a previously drawn straight line. At the moment all I can do is to mark off for a given hole centre and then draw a circle at a specified diameter to represent a screw and then repeat the exercise for the next hole. Is there a quick way in which I can mark off and draw a multiple number of holes e.g. 40 at the 17/32" centres in one operation?

Failing that, is there a method of repeating a sequence of keystrokes in order to achieve the same effect?

Many thanks

Stanier

I have been playing with the measure and divide commands as suggested and have created a block of a simple shape to represent a rivet head. However, when trying to insert the block, the saved shape is being displayed on the screen some distance away from the cursor. How do I save the block to ensure that on insertion, the shape will appear at the cursor point to enable OSNAPS to locate it where i want it?

Many thanks

Normally one creates a block and designates an insertion point somewhere on the object itself (like a midpoint, intersection, centerpoint, etc.). Some people make the mistake of using 0,0,0 as the insertion point or some other coordinate and then are disappointed with results.

Thanks for all who replied to my query. I have overcome the problem by using the Point Mode symbol to represent a rivet head followed by use of the Measure command to create the line of rivet heads at the required spacing. It took me a long time to get there but I have learnt something in the process!

I guess that's one way of doing it although I would have taken the 2 minutes it would require to create a rivet head symbol for the current drawing and for future use as well.