solid making compound miter cuts

sagaro

hello, i am somewhat new to using compound miter cuts.. and i am tryign to draft my struts for a geodesic dome.. in any case

i am not use to the language you use, so i will explain best i can

i have drawn a line, 4feet long. it is 2 inches wide and 6inches high. at the ends, i had to make a miter cut lets say 35 deg. so now i end up with a polygon, and on top view, it has one end longer than the other and the miter cut can clearly be seen.

now when i draw this in 3d, i use lines to get a rough outline of my shape.

i then switch to a side view, and draw the angle of my bevel cut. the bevel cut is along the 6" portion...

now at the end of all this i end up with a somewhat complicated shape of 2 polygons, one on the top and the other on the bottom. and to join them, is a bevel angle...

i am having difficulty making this shape into a solid.. if i make a face on the bottom side and extrude it, it wont line up to the top, and if i go vice versa, it wont line up either, i try to taper, but i get a tape on all sides.. i dont want a taper on all sides, this taper is just like a bevel cut, but not exactly what i need... the bevel cut is only at the ends of the strut.

if anyone could help me by explaining hwo to draw a solid using the lines i have drawn it would be beneficial.

basically what i ask, is if i have a 3d shape outlined with lines.. hwo can i make a solid which fills that shape?

ok so, i have tried the taper option, but it doesnt seem to work very well... it is true i can get the outisde faces to sortof match up to the bevel angle, but it is not exact...

so since i know the height is 6", i select the top polygon face.

i make a 3d face on it, so i am good there..

i then select to extrude face and i extrude it -6", because i knwo the bottom face will be smaller than the top one because of the bevel cut.

so now i have a solid, that needs the bevel, so i go into my solid edit menu, and select taper face..

i select the base point, at the top face, and select the other end at the bottom face..

it asks me the angle and i type in 6.22 deg.

now the shape looks fine on that face, except for the fact that i know the exact shape since i have the final shape outlined in lines.. i can see the taper is off by a little bit.. .19 degrees actually... how can i compensate for this?

It sounds like you have all the necessary construction geometry in place. If that is so then the SLICE command with the “3points” option may be another method of creating the appropriate miter.