align issue

sagaro

ok, so you have a 2x6x8ft beam ( a solid)

now on one side of the beam, you cut an angle across the 2" portion.

now, make 4 lines, that overlay the end of the beam that had the anglecut on it.

make those overlayed lines into a surface, and extrude it into a rectangular box... just so that the face of the rectangular box, matches the angle cut on the 2x6.

now, select the face on the 2x6 that had the angle cut put onto it, and add a taper., makes no difference which way.

so you end up with where i am stuck at.

If i look at the postions of the two objects i have, i can see they are aligned in one direction, but because of the taper, there is now a triangular gap between the beam and the "rectangular box"

i am trying to align the tapered face to the "rectangular box".

each time i try to align it, it just wont go exactly where i want it to go. its always a little rotated over an axis, one corner is bang on, but it always seems a little skewed, can anyone duplicate this "error" and maybe have a different way of going about aligning this tapered face to the box?