custom hatch pattern frustrations

Annika

this is my 1st time attempting a custom hatch..

i need to make a 3'-11 5/8" x 0'-3 5/8" brick with 3/8" grout lines (overall dimension 4' x 4") the hatch needs every other row to be offset (standard running bond pattern)

following an online tutorial i came up with this:

*LIMESTONE, 4' brick module

0 0,0 24.1875,48, 47.625,-0.3750

0, 24.1875,0.3750 24.1875,48, 47.625,-0.3750

90, 23.8125,0.3750 48,24.1875, 47.625,-4.3750

90, 24.1875,0.3750 48,24.1875, 47.625,-4.3750

but when i use the hatch - the pattern is only single horizontal lines..

no idea what im doing wrong?!

if anyone could help... im kind of dertermined to figure this out :)

Try this

*LIMESTONE

; Pattern written by HatchKit v2.7 Hatch Pattern Editor

; HatchKit v2.7 Hatch Pattern Editor© Cadro Pty Ltd 1990-2008.

; www.cadro.com.au/hatchkit/

;-Template=NEW,

;-Source =C:\Documents and Settings\Hugh\Desktop\limestone.pat

;-Date =6/02/2010

;-Time =11:31:10 AM

;-HatchKitVersion=2.7.1.1995

90,47.625,0,4,24,3.625,-4.375

90,0,0,4,24,3.625,-4.375

0,0,0,24,4,47.625,-0.375

0,0,3.625,24,4,47.625,-0.375

hth

Hugh Adamson

Cadro Pty Ltd

www.hatchkit.com.au

• 3 years later...

I am trying to create a custom hatch pattern and not sure how to do it.

i need to make a 6" x 12" brick with 1/4" grout lines. I also need to make a 12" x 24" brick with 1/4" grout. The hatch needs every other row to be offset (standard running bond pattern). Can someone help me?

6x12runningbond.jpg

My cyborg twin brother said you might be looking for something like this?

6x12 running bond with 1/4" grout joints.

Edited by ReMark

12x24RunBond.PNG

I understand you are also interested in a hatch pattern like this too.

This one happens to be 12x24 running bond with 1/4" grout joints.

Note: units are imperial.

Custom Hatch Patterns

Once you have created or downloaded a custom hatch pattern the question becomes "How do I access them?"

First you want to create a folder to store your new hatch patterns. It can be on your Desktop or in the root directory of your hard drive or even a sub-folder in a different directory.

Next you want to open the OPTIONS dialog box. The way to do this will vary between releases. In older versions of AutoCAD look under the Tools pulldown menu. In newer versions OPTIONS can be found under the Content Browser (the big red A in the upper left-hand corner of your screen).

Now you want to do the following. Select the Files tab and pick the + button to the left of Support File Search Path. Next, click the Add button (on right side of the box) and then browse to the folder where your hatch patterns are located. After adding the path to this folder click the OK button. Note that the location of this path in the list really shouldn't matter but I like to keep it near the top. Finally, click the OK button to exit the dialog box.

To use your new hatch patterns do the following...

Start the Hatch command and pick the drop down arrow in the Type selection area.

Pick Custom from the drop down list

Pick the ellipsis button (it has 3 dots) next to custom pattern to show all your new hatch patterns.

Highlight the pattern name of your choosing. You should see a thumbnail of the pattern to the right.

Select the CAD pattern and then continue hatching as you normally would.

Got all that?

There are a couple of other options. You could elect to append your new hatch patterns to the acad.pat file but this is considered a bit risky when it comes time to upgrade to a new version of AutoCAD. Or you could drop individual PAT files in the same directory (folder) as acad.pat but this could really start to clutter things up and again it becomes risky at upgrade time.

Bottom line. I highly recommend the first method as being the best and safest way to go. And don't forget to keep a copy of your new folder on a flash drive as a form of insurance against any future disaster (i.e. - hard drive failure).

Good luck.