Scaling problem

Ricardo

I have a drawing that has a preset scale of 1'=300'

I have to modify some things on this drawing, but when I try to move or add anything on it, the measurements are totally out of proportion, i.e. I ask it to move an object to the right 5" and it moves it 7'. I want to know how to modify the scale so that 1"=1" and that way I can work on it without having to make complicated conversions.

Thank you,

if you know thw actual length of any line in the drawing, than use scale 'reference' option to make it full size.

How do I go about doing that exactly? :unsure:

In the command line type SCALE

pick objects that need scaling and right click

Select a basepoint

type in RE

Type in number to scale to

I.E. if you want a 10 long line to be five, just type in 5 on keyboard]

scaling should be sorted

Select a basepoint

type in RE

scaling should be sorted

What if I want to scale the entire drawing? Would I have to that operation for each and every single object? :?

What if I want to scale the entire drawing? Would I have to that operation for each and every single object? :?

At the Select Object prompt, hit ctrl+A to select everything in the drawing.

At the Select Object prompt, hit ctrl+A to select everything in the drawing.

After I have selected everything, what do I use as reference for the scale?

Select a basepoint

type in RE

scaling should be sorted

After I select everything, it asks for a reference point. I pick a lower left corner. I type in "RE", it asks: "Specify reference length :" and I type in 5'. After that it asks me: "Specify new length or [Points]:" and I type in 5' again. This totally blows the drawing up out of proportion. I must be doing something wrong :huh:

After I select everything, it asks for a reference point. I pick a lower left corner. I type in "RE", it asks: "Specify reference length :" and I type in 5'. After that it asks me: "Specify new length or [Points]:" and I type in 5' again. This totally blows the drawing up out of proportion. I must be doing something wrong :huh:

that should not scale your drawing at all actually....if you enter 5' both as the referemce lenght and the new lenght, nothing should change.

The reference lenght is the current lenght, and the new lenght is what you wan tht current lenght to be in the end.

but it sounds like it's something else that is wrong.

When you say that the drawing has a preset scale of 1:300 - is it drawn 300 times smaller than actual size? or is that a scale set on the Viewport? Or is 1:300 set to DIMSCALE? Are you drawing in Model or Layoutspace?

that should not scale your drawing at all actually....if you enter 5' both as the referemce lenght and the new lenght, nothing should change.

The reference lenght is the current lenght, and the new lenght is what you wan tht current lenght to be in the end.

but it sounds like it's something else that is wrong.

When you say that the drawing has a preset scale of 1:300 - is it drawn 300 times smaller than actual size? or is that a scale set on the Viewport? Or is 1:300 set to DIMSCALE? Are you drawing in Model or Layoutspace?

I'm drawing on Model and there is a text on the side of the survey drawing that reads:

SCALE: 1'=300'

I'm assuming that the drawing is drawn 300 times smaller, because when I try to offset 1', it actually offsets 12' when I measure it in the drawing.

I'm drawing on Model and there is a text on the side of the survey drawing that reads:

SCALE: 1'=300'

I'm assuming that the drawing is drawn 300 times smaller, because when I try to offset 1', it actually offsets 12' when I measure it in the drawing.

when u try to offset 1' it is offseting 12; that means that drawing is done in feet instead of inches.

so scale down the whole drawing by 1/12 times & check what happens.

Alternatively in the refrence scaling method you need to know th length of atleast one line in the drawing. if the drawing is dimensioned or u know the length. than go fro scale>R> and for reference length select starting point of that line & end point of that line & for new length type in the correct length of line as dimensioned or known.

when u try to offset 1' it is offseting 12; that means that drawing is done in feet instead of inches.

so scale down the whole drawing by 1/12 times & check what happens.

Alternatively in the refrence scaling method you need to know th length of atleast one line in the drawing. if the drawing is dimensioned or u know the length. than go fro scale>R> and for reference length select starting point of that line & end point of that line & for new length type in the correct length of line as dimensioned or known.

I tried out what you said and got successful results. It was a bit tricky, but I managed to get the reference point right and was able to scale the drawing successfully. Thank you so much for your help :D