How to orbit without causing the object to move out of screen

marlon

For example, I've drawn a 3D chair. I zoom in on one of the legs of the chair. I use orbit to see if every side looks okay. When I try to move it using orbit, it goes out of the screen.

I know you're going to suggest camera, but my problem with it is that the object always changes position, sometimes upside down, and I have to move it a bit so I can turn it right side up again.

Can anyone teach me how to use camera.

thanks!

Try to type in the command line 3DORBITCTR and fallow the prompts. You will have to specify the orbit center first. After that it works like the "regular" orbit command.

You can also click the dropdown menu from the 3d navigation tab and select an isometric view that will immediately show the chair in the correct orientation (based on the orientation of the UCS, of coarse). personally, I prefer isometric views for working with 3d solids. And the dropdown menu has all the different isometric views immediately available (showing the extents of whatever is in model space).

If you rotate or reorientate the X, Y, Z axes' you can sometimes make it easier to do certain things in 3D. But usually with 3d Solids you don't have to do this. Only time I've ever had to rotate and/or reorient the UCS is when I worked with ruled and edged surfaces. Completely different creature.

-ChriS