Best way to mirror a counter-bore to other side

Crazy J

I have a nutplate that will be riveted to a bracket. The team decided that the part must mount onto the fixture with the nutplate from the other side. Thus, I had to flip the fastening hardware from one side of the bracket to the other. That was easy enough.

I was working on that and realized that the chamfer that I have modelled for the rivet that attaches the nutplate to the bracket is now on the wrong side. I don't know of a good solidedit command to do this. I've copied faces before (and would need to rotate here as well), but then they end up essentially being surfaces and I have not been able to subtract them from my part.

I'll be curious to hear if any members have a good approach for this. In the mean-time, I have an old-school approach that I feel will work. That would be to slice off the bracket, rotate or mirror that (flip it over such that the chamfers are on the right side), then union it again. This isn't so bad in this case, and maybe easier (as I get the entire hole pattern done in one operation), but it seems there should be a better solidedit option.

Remember, I am way back in 2002 :oops:

In this picture, the nutplate and bolt are in the proper position, but the rivet will need to be fed in from the underside in this view.... thanks!

mirror faces.jpg

I was working on that and realized that the chamfer that I have modelled for the rivet that attaches the nutplate to the bracket.

Read that again.

I don't know of a good solidedit command to do this.

Delete Face will remove the chamfer - you will need to add it on the other side.

BTW: That looks like a countersink, not a counterbore to me - so maybe I didn't understand the question.

Yes, I mixed that up...

But it would be a similar question/process for any feature that was there. Suppose I had a fairly complex design maybe with something more than a simple chamfer. And suppose I had it on a series of holes around a hole pattern of some sort. It seems to me that I should be able to flip the removed area from an object, rather than deleting all the work and just redoing it on the other side.

Since I first posted this thread, I did do the slice and 3D mirror approach and it worked fairly well. I had to put in some construction lines, but it was probably quicker than doing something in solidedit, I realized once I was done. It gets all the features, the entire hole pattern in my case, in one set of steps.

It seems to me that I should be able to flip the removed area from an object, rather than deleting all the work and just redoing it on the other side.

There are modern 3D progams that you might want to investigate. Autodesk Inventor is one example.

Right now I am in between stops on my career doing work as a "consultant" (the boss's way of not having full-time headcount as his contracts are always in limbo). I just missed at another position because they use SolidWorks and I have only dabbled in that for a few hours on a trial version of it. SW seems like a good software to learn for general mechanical engineering product design.

So, he has an old copy of AutoCAD 2002 and I am stuck there, and just trying to learn the best way to do things with that old version. What sometimes stinks about being in this forum is that I see all the newer commands and features and can see how they would help me, but I just don't have them and until the boss decides that he might hire me full-time, he's not buying any new software.:(

.... until the boss decides that he might hire me full-time, he's not buying any new software.:(

About 15 years ago I took $7k out of my own pocket (actually plastic) and invested my own money in a CAM package for CNC. Learned to use it, ended up changing jobs for double income and never looked back.

Wouldn't a counter sink work well?

In example, a PEM stud? :?

What kind of rivet are you using? The example has a counter bore.

Yes, I had a typo in my original title. It is a countersink I wanted.

But this is pretty much already called out by the customer. It seems to be an aerospace standard rivet. Not that I am any expert in that area, but the fixturing this part goes into has the same nutplates and rivets as what I drew up, and that we can buy OTS. The rivet has an angled shape under the head (can't see that in my oiginal pic). I guess the flat side would sit on a mandrel and the other side would be cold-pressed and flared out to lock the rivet in place. The outer two holes are for the rivets, and the center hole is to be threaded for a 10-32 SHCS. I'm desigining a test fixture and just trying to match what the customer will use to mount our part. My preference would have been threaded inserts, which really take no special tooling to install. I think the nutplates are a bit of added complexity and overkill. But I was overruled at work as they want to be as close to customer mounting scheme as possible. Also, cost is not that much more since this is only a quantity of 12 places on one fixture ever to be built.