Extremely Slow when Switching Between Layouts

stopandgo

Good morning,

I have a problem with ACAD taking *way* too long--about 15 seconds each time--to switch between paperspace layout tabs. My file is about 20MB and I currently have about 30 separate layouts (with 10-15 more on the way). The worst part is it seems that the system is progressively getting slower and slower with each new layout I create.

Can somebody help me resolve this issue?

Here is what I have tried:

1) Disabled all unnecessary background running programs, leaving only AutoCAD open;

2) Made sure to keep all my title blocks externally referenced;

3) Made sure not to insert any OLE objects (although I may need to later);

4) Loaded my drawing onto someone else's ACAD2007 and it was still slow, if not slower. I also adjusted the Layout Regen Options and saw zero change in performance.

5) Tried disabling edge smoothing on screen fonts via my XP's Settings>Display>Appearance>Effects options. No change.

6) And for kicks I froze and turned off EVERYTHING. Still no change.

What am I missing here? Am I simply bound to slow performance because of the sheer size of the file?

Hi Ipseifert,

This route did not help me (see my Item#4 of tried and failed ideas above). The slowdown showed no impact, regardless of any of the 3 regen options I chose. Thank you very much for the suggestion, though.

I don't know if this will help or even if it's available on 2000LT.

Whenever I had/have slow drawings I've used this command:

-scalelistedit > Reset > Yes > exit

Also on each layout bring up your viewport properties and under the heading Misc where it says 'on' change it to NO. This keeps the outline of the viewport but turns off what it displays and so in theory should speed it up as there isn't as much for ACAD to regen

Hi Ipseifert,

This route did not help me (see my Item#4 of tried and failed ideas above). The slowdown showed no impact, regardless of any of the 3 regen options I chose. Thank you very much for the suggestion, though.

Oops. I guess I ought to read the entire post. Oh well...

Hi Fire_col, thanks for the suggestions.

Although "scalelistedit" is not available in 2000LT, I did try your other idea, turning off every viewport display in my entire drawing file and got the delay reduced from a ridiculous 15 seconds down to an OK 4 seconds. Much appreciated...I did not realize that other layouts could impact the performance of the layout currently being viewed.

I suppose the best move now is to only turn on the VPORTs one at a time as I need to work on/plot them. My only follow-up question would be if I can cut down the now 4-second delay even more...any other suggestions?

@Ipseifert: no problem thx anyway

It's a shame "-scalelistedit" on top of viewports off might have brought to your desired target.

Other than what I've suggested I can't think of anything else without splitting your drawing onto two files, although the last thing anyone wants to do.