Problems with high resolution material

oskars666

It's about Autocad 2008. I have tried and faild at figuring out what settings do I have to change so that a material with a wery high (6000x6000) resolution I put on an objekt doesn't appear grainy, and not in full resolution. Is that some automatic compression that autocad does to the new material that I import? And what might bee the cause, is that a fail safe for small ram...?:? I work in 32bit enviroment so i have 3gb of memory. I feel soooo Dum. Googled for another few hours now, didn't find any useful information, atleast I didn't recognize any:geek:

Thanks.

Do you really need a 6000x6000 material? I generally use 1024x1024 for most of the things I do. But if I need something a little higher res, I might use a 2048x2048 material. The most I've ever seen anyone use was 4096x4096. So I'm wondering why such a high resoultion image? Remember, the higher your material resolution, the longer it will take to process it during rendering. Only use super high resoultion materials when absolutely necessary.

Could it be that you are just looking at the material as it sits on the model? Your materials will always look crappy in the editor window. Have you tried rendering? Can you post some screenshots?

The looks of it doesn't change from vieport to rendered material, if bump map is added, then result is even more horrendes. If i didn't know it looks as if i was using low resolution grainy materials, no higher than 150x150.

I need it for interior design, for example to show front panneling of a kitchen, it has to have unified pattern. So there you have my reason, but if there is no idea whats wrong maybe you know a good kompressing software for those owersized tiles?

Well, like I said. Post some screenshots so we can see what you're seeing. I find it hard to believe that a 6000x6000 material is looking grainy. It should be looking very sharp and clear.

Are you using low quality render settings? Low quality renders will look grainy.

How was your material created for the tile? Did you take a low rez image and just 'blow it up'? If that is how you made it that is your problem. Your original image needs to start with the crisp look that you want. If you just 'blow it up' you are only making a bad image worse.

The problem is that the red material (one of Arroway textures) size is 13mb and viewed as a picture in windows pisture manager is much more detailed than the white marble which is only 1mb big (both have similar tile count). So I didn't inflate anything, it is something about Cad's automatic picture compression if it's too big. And i need to find a way to change those options, or atleast come to terms that it is somehow relaited to ram shortage... :( Maybe it's somehow related to 32 bit system that i'm using.

Auto CAD's generic textures are much smaller file sizes. When I create my own, I try to keep them about the same size normally (100 - 500 Kb). I personally think that this should be sufficient to accurately represent the textures you want.

Is this going to be a large format print when you are done? Is that why you want the high-quality on there? Even when this is done, its meant to be seen from far away, if you get close to the print, it will usually be pixilated, with noise.

That size of file would crush my computer... I am curious to know what other people use though for the quality of images for materials. The majority of my renderings are from a distance, where the quality of the image does not matter as much...

I am both carpenter and designer, till now i didn't need large textures, but now it would be nice atleast to learn of a program which is capable of representing these full textures, could 3dMax Design edition be the right one? I know that it's possible to import cad files to 3dsmax, but for me its interface is too different, atleast 2010.

I used 3-D MAX a long time ago, so I could not say. I do know that Auto CAD is not the best rendering software out there. I am sure that other people would have input on what is better.

Can you put those materials in a zip file and post it here so I can take a look at them? There is no reason for that high res material to be looking distorted like that. It looks like maybe you have it scaled up too much? It also appears as if it's not tiling correctly. I would like to take a look.

Ok, newermind guys, I will just keep on using the cut fragment wersions of those high resolution materials (it's about 1500x1500, depends on materials pattern), but I would still like to hear an answer - is there any limitations how high the materials resolution is to be represented fully in Autocad, and how to adjust these settings if there are any. And wich program definetly has the ability to process the extremely high resolution material, bump, diffuse, reflection, etc.

Well, I offered to take a look at your materials. Just put them in a zip file and post it here. I still don't understand why you need to use such high res materials though? 2048x2048 should be good enough for most situations.

I am not aware of any resolution restrictions in any programs. I just think you may be doing something wrong. As I said before, I think you may have the material scaled up too large. But unless you're willing to help us to help you, I don't know what else to tell you.