Autocad freezes in layout when using autosnap

cangelo3D

Any time i try to dimension anything in the layout with autosnap on it just freezes at least half of the times... There is no error display, it just freezes as soon as the first point is snapped.

The drawings that this problem occurs are from a library i've been handed recently so i know nothing about the way these drawings have been designed.

The interesting part is that it does not occur to all of them and i had never before experienced this problem before.

The drawings are either solids or blocks containing solids and i'm using autocad 2008 and XP prof.

Any suggestions?

Do you mean Osnap?

Have you run an Audit on any of these drawings to see if there are any errors?

Can you post one of these drawings? Are they blocks?

Yes, i'm sorry, i meant Osnap.

Audit unfortunately didn't find any errors to correct. I'm afraid cannot post these drawings here cause that's forbidden by the company. It would have made things a lot easier but it's not in my hand.

The drawings are block's and 3d objects but i'm leaning towards the blocks to be causing the problem.

I tried to unblock all of them so as to test if the problem remained after having only 3d solids and till now it seems to work.

yes i exploded them all, but only to see if the problem would still exist, and the fact is that it don't.

"Counterproductive" is just a gentle way to describe it!!! That's not the option to go definitely!

So, what do you think is the case here? Just some bad defined blocks?

I suppose it could be just a matter of a badly defined block.

Have you opened one of these block drawing files and run a purge on it?

wblock 'em, purge em, and then re-insert them, as ReMark suggests.. it sounds like a good idea.

It used to be, on old CAD, that you sometimes had to freeeze some unaffected layers to stop OSNAP from trying to oversearch the area... If the layer was just "off", it still took longer.

I haven't seen that happen in awhile, but might be helpful here for you.

Yes, purge removes only one text style and one annotation dimension style.

I copied the indexes of the problematic drawing into a new file and the result was really interesting because one block was copied in an enormous size! Like it was scaled 100 times!

Is that some result of the annotation? I bet its that particular block causing the mess in dimensioning.

The block was probably drawn full size.

fortunately it seems only this block is causing the software to freeze so i redifined it and evereything is ok. Unfortunately this library is full of false drawing. Drawings that are ment to be inserted to the same projects having 800meters difference in z axis and 200meters in x??? Give me a break! People don't always try to make life easier...

stop OSNAP from trying to oversearch the area

oversearching the area in propably the case for freezing.

MikeScott and ReMark thank you very much for the responses!