Stupid proxy information window

Dolfan0925

So I do very simple drawings of stone blocks for work. I'm not sure what's causing this window because the drawing is so simple, but every drawing I open has this window pop up. It's not bad, but it's just annoying as I go thru lots of drawings during the day. There has to be a way for me to remove it. I saw a site that said I should type PROXYGRAPHICS and change the value from 1 to 0. I did that and it worked for like a day, now the value is still 0 but they're still popping up.

What is this screen about (actually I don't really care) and how do I get rid of it forever?

proxy.jpg

It never hit me to try to find a fix for it. I've been dealing with that screen for like 2 years. But at this new job I'm opening like 5+ drawings at a time, and it would be nice to just open them all and not have to hit after each one when the screen pops up.

TY again.

You are welcome.

You are very patient to deal with this annoyance for so long. No one I know, including me, even knows what these proxies are, how they are created and why.

A proxy object is a substitute for a custom object when the ObjectARX application that created the custom object is not available to AutoCAD or other host applications.

In other words, if somebody creates a "smart" object, usually in a vertical application (like Architectural or Land Desktop), and I try to open their drawing with plain AutoCAD, it has to find a substitute for the smart object.

If you scroll down in the dialog box, it will tell you the name of the missing application, and provide suggestions for Object Enablers that restore viewing and editing capabilities.

Proxy objects are created by add-ons such as Architectural Desktop and LDD. There might no longer be any such objects in the drawing and you might still get that message (not sure about that). I believe you can get rid of such objects, and then hopefully that warning, by saving as/dxfing to R12. But since you got rid of the annoyance already you may not care :)

What is this screen about (actually I don't really care) and how do I get rid of it forever?

proxy.jpg

Did you *read* the contents of this dialog?

It's telling you that you have PROXY objects. You are missing the application used to create these objects. You either need the application, an object enabler, or you will not be able to edit (or possibly even see) these objects.

A proxy object is a substitute for a custom object when the ObjectARX application that created the custom object is not available to AutoCAD or other host applications.

In other words, if somebody creates a "smart" object, usually in a vertical application (like Architectural or Land Desktop), and I try to open their drawing with plain AutoCAD, it has to find a substitute for the smart object.

If you scroll down in the dialog box, it will tell you the name of the missing application, and provide suggestions for Object Enablers that restore viewing and editing capabilities.

so its telling you its too rubbish to use these objects and that you need to upgrade and spend lots of money? :P

so its telling you its too rubbish to use these objects and that you need to upgrade and spend lots of money? :P

Nah ;) Object Enablers are free.

• 7 years later...

Hi there,

We have the same issue in our office and have followed paulmcz's answer but can't see any "Show Proxy Information dialog box" to uncheck. It's most probably because we have an LT version of AutoCAD.

Is there any other way to avoid that message?

Many thanks in advance!

Uge

AFAIK it should be there in the Options>Open and Save at lower right.

You might look into the PROXYSHOW, PROXYGRAPHICS and PROXYNOTICE variables. PROXYNOTICE is for the "Show Proxy Information dialog box", you want it =0.

• 3 years later...
So I do very simple drawings of stone blocks for work. I'm not sure what's causing this window because the drawing is so simple, but every drawing I open has this window pop up. It's not bad, but it's just annoying as I go thru lots of drawings during the day. There has to be a way for me to remove it. I saw a site that said I should type PROXYGRAPHICS and change the value from 1 to 0. I did that and it worked for like a day, now the value is still 0 but they're still popping up.

Use command 'proxynotice' and set to 0. I'm not sure what this does exactly, but the notice doesn't pop up anymore.