Hide command

hanz007

I'm looking at my drawing in paperspace ( and it looks lovely ).

I hit "hide" and the 3D changes to 2D, hiding all the lines (which is great). It also shows up in 2D in the print pre-view and in the print.

However, the wire frame view shows if I try to "copy" and "paste" the picture into any other format. i.e. I'm trying to get it over into pagemaker.

Any tips? I can't seem to find anything in my cad book on this.

Hey, this has been eating at me for a while now also... and I probably am showing great ignorance here.

But the hide command, as in View/Hide or just typing Hide on the command line, this is different than the hidden button on the Shade toolbar or through the shademode command?

It seems that View/Hide is just a temporary thing. Correct? Or does it have the ability to hide the hidden lines for simple paper drawings (prints) where you would not want the hidden lines showing? As I am littering up other posts with similar thoughts, I am in the midst of creating my first full drawing package after doing the solid model, and I can't seem to get nice clean drawings with hidden lines hidden or else shown as dashed as they should be.

I just did the excercise you mentioned with a simple screw I'd drawn up. It hid the lines, but did that thing where it puts all the facets on it (or whatever that's supposed to be). Even if I did like the view that way, when I zoom in and out or do a regen it goes back to regular 2D wireframe.

So, I guess my question then is, does the Hide command do anything of great value or permanence? And is there a better or proper way to efficiently treat hidden lines as they should be on a 2D print of a solid model?

Thanks.

screw.jpg

The hide command will simply hide the non visible lines for viewing purposes. Is has no perminance, a regen of zoom will bring the hidden lines back into view. If you want to plot a "hidden" view you have to select that option in the plot dialog. There are times that some lines that should be visible after a hide do not show.

The facets you see are controlled with the DISPSILH (Display Silhouette) variable.

In AutoCAD 2010 if You are in 2d wireframe mode and type hide it is temporarily hiding the edges and You have to regen. But in any other visual style if You type hide the changes stay.

You can use the MVIEW command to hide your view ports:

Command: MVIEW

Specify corner of viewport or [ON/OFF/Fit/Shadeplot/Lock/Object/Polygonal/Restore/LAyer/2/3/4] : HIDE

Hidden line removal for plotting [ON/OFF]: ON

Select objects: (select VP to hide)

Using this method, instead of your visual styles speeds up the printing process, this is helpful.

Also if you are finding that lines are disappearing with some of the more complex models, you can set your HIDEPRECISION to .

Good info! Thanks.

However, my project is done and turned in and I am moving on to the next thing, whatever that turns out to be. If it is more AutoCAD, I'll remember to come back here and figure out how to make my next set of prints look better with properly hidden lines. The client was doing prints with hidden lines not hidden properly and didn't seem to care. So, in lieu of taking on a whole other chunk of (unbillable) effort to figure this out, I let it slide...:oops:.

It will eat at more for a little while that I didn't get that figured out, but I'll be okay in the end.:wink: