Drawing a line using bearings

munz82

First off I'm using AutoCAD 2008 and I'm trying to input survey points to establish a subdivision. My units are set as follow: lenght type: decimal with precision set at: 0.00. Angle type: Surveyor's Units with precision set at: N 0d00'00" E. Units to scale inserted content: feet. I have a specific point at which i want to start from and that is 1421334.93,78320.62 which is my benchmark. I want to start my next point at 113.66 feet away from this benchmark at a bearing of N 5d27'23" W. So far I have tried using the command @113.66

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• eldon

• munz82

• Car5858

Top Posters In This Topic

I would use the starting point of 0,0 for the drawing and notate the benchmark coordinates on the drawing, also change the units from inch to feet. I am guessing that you have a very large drawing due to the Benchmark starting point you listed. Therefore a line of onl 113 feet will look very small or invisable.

Try it this way

Command: LINE

Specify first point: 1421334.93,78320.62

Specify next point or [undo]: @113.66

Specify next point or [undo]:

If you can't see the line, it may be off screen. Try Zoom > Object > Last

So far I have tried using the command @113.66

You have to realise that when AutoCAD starts a new drawing from scratch, the screen shows an area from 0,0 to 14,9 or something like that.

You are starting a line a long way from that, and AutoCAD is perfectly capable of drawing a line off-screen, but unless you Zoom Extents, you will never see it.

Are you inputting the "@113.66

"Specify next point or [undo]:"

Yes I am inputting the info after the prompt "Specify next point of [undo]:"

You have to realise that when AutoCAD starts a new drawing from scratch, the screen shows an area from 0,0 to 14,9 or something like that.

You are starting a line a long way from that, and AutoCAD is perfectly capable of drawing a line off-screen, but unless you Zoom Extents, you will never see it.

I have zoomed out so that i can see the benchmark, and the line of 113.66' is small, but it is not drawing the line to the bearing of N5d27'23"W, its drawing it at a 90 degree angle only. I know that the bearing is close to 90 degrees, but it should still draw it to the bearing I specify. What am I doing wrong? P.S. I am set at feet not inches.

Try it this way

If you can't see the line, it may be off screen. Try Zoom > Object > Last

I've tried this, but i still don't get a line drawn to the bearing I put in. It still draws it to 90 degrees. Any suggestions?

Draw the line again, select the line>type list in the command line. This will open a window with the line properties.

Make shure you are drawing on the correct layer, and that it is not turned off.

You can also attach your drawing so that we can see where the problem in.

Have you installed the updates for Acad 2008?

Are you zoomed out so much that the line only "appears" to be at 90 degrees? After you draw your line using the surveyor units, draw another line with Ortho turned on and snap to one end of the line and move your mouse towards the other end of the line. If you see a gap at the other end, you're fine. Otherwise if there is no gap, you have a problem.

Okay, I'm zoomed in to the benchmark and the line of 113.66 feet takes up a good portion of my screen. The line however is not at the bearing I specified of N5d27'23"W in fact it is still at 90 degrees. I have turned ortho off and drew a line and turned ortho off and drew another line....they end up as 2 lines but on the same path....no gap between them. I have gone so far as drawing a line at the bearing listed to no certain length. I then proceeded to draw a circle with a radius of 113.66 feet and that is how I have accomplished the frist point. I've checked its length and bearing and it is what it should be, a line of 113.66 feet at a bearing of N5d27'23"W. Obviously this is not the way you are intended to draw bearings but I'm unsure of what else to do.

Drawing2.2.dwg

I have looked at your drawing. The first problem that I see is the Benchmark is off position by 0.62 feet of the benchmark point.

Your layers seem to be set up correctly. (I didn't check them all)

The problem that you are having is caused by the drawing precision is set to low.

You need to raise the precision Format>units>decimal click the on the drop down menu and select the max precision.

You also need to plot a Point at the benchmark location. Place it on the benchmark layer. Set the point style to absoulate 5.00. You will be able to remove the point later.

After you have made these changes, draw the line again.

Turn on the Osnap "Node" before you start the line command.

The instructors will be checking this benchmark.

If you have more problems with the drawing (you will) or instructions ask.

C

Edit. Now that I have gone back and looked at your drawing I don't have to say this. (wait, maybe it's worth mentioning, it opened in MY workspace)

Go to Format - Units and make sure Clockwise is NOT checked,

I'm sure your angle type is set to Surveyor's Units already.

Then go to - Direction and make sure your base angle is set to EAST.

Do you not have to set up your World View with a real location in order for the points coordinates to work? I have not tried to figure out how that works yet, but I do not have an instructor checking my work. I just start at 0,0 and use the call list of bearings & distances.

Car5858 is right. I had my precision set to 00.000 and my 24 acre lot with 16 lines, and 15 corners did not close by .93' even though the surveyor had proven the data a couple of times.

AutoCAD understands all angle inputs, despite the angle unit being set to something else, and it also will draw the length input as entered, despite the length precision being set to something else.

It is only when you want to List an entity, must the unit precision and angle units be set.

To get to the bottom of the OP's problem, perhaps a screen shot of the command line after the moment of failure, might provide a clue as to what is actually going on.

Precision set to 00.000 and my 24 acre lot with 16 lines, and 15 corners did not close by .93'

I had learned this the hard way, when I submitted my drawing.

I also had to install the service packs for Acad 2008

AutoCAD understands all angle inputs, despite the angle unit being set to something else, and it also will draw the length input as entered, despite the length precision being set to something else.

It is only when you want to List an entity, must the unit precision and angle units be set.

To get to the bottom of the OP's problem, perhaps a screen shot of the command line after the moment of failure, might provide a clue as to what is actually going on.

I have found that to be true, but the unit precision when set to low will allow errors according to the variable. These errors also prevent closed boundries. It did take me a few hours to figure out why I was not able to hatch the required areas in this drawing.

I have found that to be true, but the unit precision when set to low will allow errors according to the variable. These errors also prevent closed boundries. It did take me a few hours to figure out why I was not able to hatch the required areas in this drawing.

Absolutely untrue, and what variable are you referring to? The unit precision is only for seeing what the lengths are, to that precision. It has absolutely no effect on the accuracy of drawing. The only thing that prevents boundaries from closing is lack of precise geometry.

When you draw a closed boundary, the last line should be closed to the start point. If you want to find out the actual mis-closure (i.e. the accuracy of surveying), then draw individual lengths.

Eldon is correct. I just did a simple test.

I set the units to feet @ 0.00' precision. I set the dimension style precision to 0.00. I drew a line with dynamic input of @130.126

Well, with higher precision my property lines still don't close, and the surveyor says "THE LOT CLOSES". The caps are his, I could hear them in his voice.:o

So, I dissasociated the dimension for the last line, snapped the end to the point of beginning, and sent my bill.8)

Well, with higher precision my property lines still don't close, and the surveyor says "THE LOT CLOSES". The caps are his, I could hear them in his voice.

It does depend on what the survey is for, and perhaps he is working to the nearest foot, so as far as his brief goes, it does close.

I wouldn't mind casting an eye over his figures, and giving a second opinion on whether it closes geometrically, or whether it closes surveyingwise. :shock:

Eldon is correct. I just did a simple test.

I set the units to feet @ 0.00' precision. I set the dimension style precision to 0.00. I drew a line with dynamic input of @130.126

Well, with higher precision my property lines still don't close, and the surveyor says "THE LOT CLOSES". The caps are his, I could hear them in his voice.:o

So, I dissasociated the dimension for the last line, snapped the end to the point of beginning, and sent my bill.8)

Actually, Autocad drew it to 130.13, not as I typoed it above.