Breaking and deleting segments of a Polyline

bkruger

All;

Some of my drawings contain some very densely populated polylines, e.g. polylines with a lot of points. If I change the linetype from continuous to hidden, the line as drawn does not show the breaks in areas where the point density is high.

Does anyone know of a LISP routine where designate a polyline, and along this polyline travel distance "x", then delete distance "y", travel distance "x", delete distance "y", etc?

Or, is there another way to do this. Redrawing the lines is not a viable option.

Thanks in advance for any help.

V/r

Bob

Maybe check out this thread?

quote]

Lee;

I didn't see anything there that would help.

I have another use for what I described above. On some of the work that I do, the result is cut files for a laser cutter. What I like to do in some instances is leave very small tabs to allow the products cut to remain in the source material so they don't shake out during shipping. It would be nice to be able to click on the polyline in the cut file and have a .125" break every six inches or so without me having to manually do it.

V/r

Bob

Have you tried enabling Linetype Generation for the polylines? This can be done in Properties or Pedit. The system variable is Plinegen, but changing it will only affect new polylines.

Use the following...

Command: PE
PEDIT Select polyline or [Multiple]:
Enter an option [Close/Join/Width/Edit vertex/Fit/Spline/Decurve/Ltype 
gen/Undo]: L
Enter polyline linetype generation option [ON/OFF] <On>: ON

gen/Undo]:

and/or check/set your PLineGen varible to 1.

Have you tried enabling Linetype Generation for the polylines? This can be done in Properties or Pedit. The system variable is Plinegen, but changing it will only affect new polylines.

Just beat me to it.

beat.PNG

Use the following...

Command: PE
PEDIT Select polyline or [Multiple]:
gen/Undo]: L
Enter polyline linetype generation option [ON/OFF] <On>: ON

gen/Undo]:

and/or check/set your PLineGen varible to 1.

Alan;

Many thanks.

I have done that. However, I would like to be able to insert the breaks/deletes on existing drawings and not redraw. Also, when making parts files, I would like to just be able to simply copy from the plan, place in a parts file, and then with a LISP (or some other command) have it break and delete based on inputs from me.

Anyone know of an existing LISP routine that does this?

V/r

Bob

Alan;

Many thanks.

I have done that. However, I would like to be able to insert the breaks/deletes on existing drawings and not redraw. Also, when making parts files, I would like to just be able to simply copy from the plan, place in a parts file, and then with a LISP (or some other command) have it break and delete based on inputs from me.

Anyone know of an existing LISP routine that does this?

V/r

Bob

You're welcome. To answer your question/request, I don't understand what you are asking. Could you post an example (before/after, etc.) and/or picture?

You're welcome. To answer your question/request, I don't understand what you are asking. Could you post an example (before/after, etc.) and/or picture?

Sure.

Firstly, look at the JPEG file named EXAMPLE1. It show the density of polyline segments/points in a part that will be sent to a laser cutter.

Now of you look at JPEG file named EXAMPLE2.jpg, it will show what I am having to do manually with the break command. As an example, what I would like to do is from a simple command, designate the distance along a closed polyline I want the routine to go, and then insert a break of a second specified distance, and do this for the length of the polyline.

Hopefully, this explained it a little better.

V/r

Bob

EXAMPLE1.jpg

EXAMPLE2.jpg