Creating accurate dimensions between lines,rectangles etc.

martikka

Hey

I have problem in creating accurate dimensions between objects like lines and rectangles etc. For example I want to move the rectangle A to the 1000 mm away from the line B. I have tried the move button but it seems to move objects randomly. In move-action i write 1000 to y-axis but then when I create linear dimension the distance seems to be like 1173,32. So what have I done wrong? Help please, this gets quite frustrating :)

Select the object you want to move. Start dragging it in the direction you want to go. At the command line type in the distance. Done.

Watch what you use for your base point.

You are not creating a dimension. You are specifying an exact distance.

Hey

I have problem in creating accurate dimensions between objects like lines and rectangles etc. For example I want to move the rectangle A to the 1000 mm away from the line B. I have tried the move button but it seems to move objects randomly. In move-action i write 1000 to y-axis but then when I create linear dimension the distance seems to be like 1173,32. So what have I done wrong? Help please, this gets quite frustrating :)

The Move command is relative to the base point you select.

Is the rectangle already 173.22 units away from the line before the move? If so, your move increment should have been 826.78 units.

Also, use either ortho or polar tracking so you can see that your move path is along the axis you wish it to be as you move the cursor.

Is this below what you are doing?

Select rectagle A to move. It asks for a base point. Select the point on line B you want to move from. Slide the cursor in the direction you want it to move and type 1000, then hit enter.

The rectangle will then move to a point 1000 units further away from line B, rather than exactly 1000 units away from line B.