Custom Line Type Spacing

Proctor

Hello: our company uses custom line types and I wanted to know more about how the spacing works. e.g. if I have a linetype that places a small rectangle every 6 inches...and using this linetype, I create a polyline that's length is 213.6280; in doing the math, that tells me that i should have 35.6 rectangles placed. (213.6280/6 = 35.6). Because it's a closed polyline, it will round this number up and therefore, i will see 36 rectangles.

my question is....how does autocad do the spacing for this? i noticed in drawing this paticular situation that the rectangles appear to be spaced evenly; however, in reality, if i went along my poly placing rectangle blocks every 6 inches, at the end of the poly, i would have to cram the last block in to make it fit and therefore, all my rectangles would not appear to be spaced evenly.

Does autocad compensate for this when working w/ linetypes? does it somehow know to space the rectangles evenly?

thanks,

Proctor

Interesting particuarly

"– The alignment field specifies the action for pattern alignment at the ends of individual lines, circles,

and arcs. Currently, AutoCAD supports only A-type alignment, which guarantees that the endpoints of

lines and arcs start and stop with a dash"

Often like others probably wondered how autocad quite worked things out.

Any way the soloution if you want your squares at an exact increment then a lisp etc is the way to go replacing the existing line, this would mean that an end distance would be correct. Or next sq would start correct distance along next line,

That is interesting and good to know.

Well, I created a program using .net api that runs rectangular blocks along the object provided...e.g. poly, or lines....and it places them at the distance i tell it too;

In addition, the user can use the custom line types - they look similar to the blocks my program creates; however, the spacing is different and I wanted to verify why.

Now that I know what's happening, it will help me to decide how to proceed. I need the spacing on both methods used to match up so I think i'll have to space in a similar manner to the line types.

Thank you all for your help.

Proctor

Sure...I can. The program itself is huge....but I can extract out the portion where i place the rectangular blocks along the poly. Let me fix the spacing issue first and then I'll place the code here ok.

Thanks again,

Proctor