Auto-edit (LISP>) Title Block Attributes

bennn

Hello,

I am fairly new to Autocad (

I have a large amount of dwgs that need their title block updated. This title block update would consist of finding and replacing text on the title block. Each dwg file has multiple layouts.

I have looked at find&replace lisps, but cannot find any that support multiple layouts. I am also still struggling with running said lisps. I have copied code into notepad, saved it as a .lsp, loaded into autocad (2010), and sometimes succeeded in running the lisp via the command line. Often, I feel I am not typing the correct command. From what I have learned, you find the command by looking at the text that directly follows "C:"

Again, I am not at all experienced in using LISPS and hope that someone can help me out. I am very eager to learn and have spent time researching, but could obviously use a hand.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

What your asking is quite a task for a LISP routine. There are several here that can possibly accomplish this but it will require a lot of work so I seriously doubt you will find what your looking for.

Do you happen to use the Sheet Set Manager? If so this task can be easily accomplished with it. It will take some time to setup the fields for each text in the title block but once it is done making future changes takes place in the sheet set manager.

My first idea to solve this problem was to use sheet set manager, but I was under the impression it was more geared at file structure and sorting, than it was at editing and making changes. Perhaps I should look into sheet set manager a bit more.

Thanks for your input.

After review of my initial reply I must add that I am quite sure Lee Mac (and some others that I don't know if off the top) can make a lisp to do this. It also might not be as complicated as I think because I am going off of my limited knowledge of lisp. We have some very talented members here for certain.

As for the sheet set manager goes, you will find that it is quite a powerful tool to use. It does quite more than just organizing. Once you add your sheets to it right click on the sheet and check out sheet set properties. There is default ones added and then you can also add your own custom properties to fill in any part of the title block you can imagine. We use them here and it makes our jobs so much easier.

Need to change a sheets title or sheet number, date, etc? Right click the sheet in the manager and select Rename & renumber. Want to plot a an entire sheet set or just one or even several selected ones? Right click in the manager. The list goes on.

Not only that if you drag and drop views via the sheet set managers Model View tab you can organize name and number them from the Sheet View tab. Renaming & renumber can be done without even opening up the drawing. That also applies to any renaming & renumbering just as long as you have fields setup for what you want to do it to.

Enjoy your journey into sheet sets.

Seems like a HUGE task but, there are very qualified lisp routine authors here at CadTutor.

Only problem is, how much time might be involved? Ouch!

After review of my initial reply I must add that I am quite sure Lee Mac (and some others that I don't know if off the top) can make a lisp to do this. It also might not be as complicated as I think because I am going off of my limited knowledge of lisp. We have some very talented members here for certain.

As for the sheet set manager goes, you will find that it is quite a powerful tool to use. It does quite more than just organizing. Once you add your sheets to it right click on the sheet and check out sheet set properties. There is default ones added and then you can also add your own custom properties to fill in any part of the title block you can imagine. We use them here and it makes our jobs so much easier.

Need to change a sheets title or sheet number, date, etc? Right click the sheet in the manager and select Rename & renumber. Want to plot a an entire sheet set or just one or even several selected ones? Right click in the manager. The list goes on.

Not only that if you drag and drop views via the sheet set managers Model View tab you can organize name and number them from the Sheet View tab. Renaming & renumber can be done without even opening up the drawing. That also applies to any renaming & renumbering just as long as you have fields setup for what you want to do it to.

Enjoy your journey into sheet sets.

So I have been playing with SSM since your initial recommendation and am definitely seeing the pros to using this powerful tool. I have also seen Lee Mac's lisp strings (that is more or less the ones I was referring to previously). I think the SSM may do what I need, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it.

I have created a sheet set, added my sheets and created and pointed the sheet set at my template. However, it seems like now that I have defined my custom template, that any more sheets I import should be converted to that template? At least that is what I'd like to accomplish.

In short, I'm trying to figure out how to make a change to a title block on 1 of my sheets within my sheet set, and have that change show up on all the other sheets in said sheet set.

Any ideas?

Once you have your fields in the title block pointing to the correct property in the SSM then you just need to edit the property entry in SSM. Once that is done your change will be reflected in the title block.

Once you have your fields in the title block pointing to the correct property in the SSM then you just need to edit the property entry in SSM. Once that is done your change will be reflected in the title block.

Thanks again for all your help ScribbleJ. Just one more note on that: How do I get my fields in the title block pointing to the correct property in the SSM? I seem to be chasing my tail here!

Also, the Sheets Happen.PDF has been a huge help and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone else who is new to SSM

Inside the text editor right click and choose Insert Field. Typically we have a place holder (doesn't matter what it is, it could be a simple as an X or hyphen) so something is visible to select for future editing.