Render on pure white background help

john1983

Hi all

I've been asked to render single shots of the furniture we make on a pure white background.. Ive made a studio and put lights in, put the model in the centre of the room, made a pure white material and assigned it to the studio walls, hit render and it renders the walls grey, why is it doing this?

Does anyone know how to render pure white wall? Im using 3d max with vray, any material settings and render settings would be brilliant too... (I know im pushing it a bit)

Any help would be great

Thanks

John

Hi Agian Cad64

Yeah using 255,255,255, thats probably not the way to go is it?? No the lights are white, should they be coloured?

No, your lights should not be colored. Colored lights will influence the background. For instance, if your lights were red, your background would pick up the red light and turn pink. Pure white is what you want, for your background and your lights.

I'm thinking there might be a problem with your lighting set up. Maybe you're not getting enough direct light on your background? Are you using a standard 3-point lighting set up?

yeah using the 3 light setup, but im using 3 vray lights.. can i send you my scene for you to have a look at? Maybe check all my settings to see if they are right?

I don't use Vray, so sending me your scene won't do any good because everything will be lost when I open it. I would have to convert everything to Mental Ray lights, materials, etc. It's a big hassle.

Can you post screenshots of your set up, in wireframe? Also your rendered image so I can see how your lighting is working?

ah right i see, do you think im wasting my time trying to learn vray when mental ray would be easier to learn and use?

Yeah ill post it for you, It will have to be in the morning though because its rendering at the moment

Vray is actually easier than Mental Ray. At least that's what I've heard. I don't have much experience with it though. I just played around with it a few years ago for a couple of days.