Linetype Problems

Hope someone here can help with this. I have made 4 linetypes(using MKSHAPE & MKLTYPE Commands) and they load ok into my drawing. I have added the .lin files to my acadiso.lin/acad.lin folders and it all works good. What I need is, when I saved the drawing with my new linetypes in a general folder so that others can view the drawing, they dont get the new linetypes. Is there an easy way for them to get this, or will they also have to load the .lin files? Thanks in advance.

You can drag and drop linetype styles from the design center into another drawing - You might get stuck on the shape file though. You definatly need to get these on the server...

Thats ok inhouse, but as soon as they go to the client, they wont have the right path. I would have thought Autodesk would have worked out a way to embed custom linetypes to the drawing itself, much the same as blocks.

Also I cant seem to drag the linetypes from the design centre to the pallette. Any ideas why not?

• 2 weeks later...

We are experiencing the same problem in my office. How to get the custom linetypes to the client? The powers that be are not fans of e-transmit. Will custom linetypes bind like xrefs? And which file extension is better .lin or .shp when sending to client?

What's the big deal about using eTransmit to send along custom linetypes and shape files? I'd be more afraid a losing a drawing to the cosmos than I would losing a custom linetype.

the problem I have with eTransmit is that linetypes are excluded by default! Once you realise your linetypes didn't go at least you can do something about it.

What's the big deal about using eTransmit to send along custom linetypes and shape files? I'd be more afraid a losing a drawing to the cosmos than I would losing a custom linetype.

I am but a pion and do not understand such deep officeplace opinions. They tell me, "Make a new linetype or 6." So I do, and then they want me to make sure the client gets them. And THAT is the problem. I don't know the best way to do that.

I am but a pion and do not understand such deep officeplace opinions. They tell me, "Make a new linetype or 6." So I do, and then they want me to make sure the client gets them. And THAT is the problem. I don't know the best way to do that.
The linetype definition is embedded within the drawing (never have to send the .lin file). However, the SHP/SHX files for your custom linetypes (with shapes) must be included. If they don't want to use eTransmit, they'll have to include the SHX/SHP files manually when they send. For clients that I regularly receive data from, I put their CTBs, SHX, SHP, LIN, etc. in our appropriate folders. That way, I always have them.

If the shape file is already in one of the default linetypes will it go with the drawings? I have modified the TRACK linetype and renamed it, but not changed anything with the shape file in it. It seems that since that shape file is part of the normal linetypes in AutoCAD my linetype should be able to use it just fine. Do I understand that right? Or is every shape file referenced separately?