Going from a 2D plan to 3D

FlipRocket

Hi, this is my first post on theses forums. I just started learning AutoCAD.

I had a small project to do for one of my classes, which was just to draw a simple 2D house plan.

So just for fun, I'd like to make my house 3D. I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but here's what I did so far: First I changed the Thickness property of the walls on my plan, then I did the same with my windows and moved them along the Z axis (using the properties window) to raise them from the floor. I also used the 3dface command to close off the top of my walls and windows.

Now, how can I make the window-sized hole in my wall? I tried to use the subtract command, but that doesn't seem to work.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Now, how can I make the window-sized hole in my wall? I tried to use the subtract command, but that doesn't seem to work.

You must be doing something wrong. Subtract is how you cut holes in objects.

Can you explain the procedure you used while trying to Subtract?

Screenshots would also helpful, so we can see what you've done and what you're trying to do.

Also, from your description, it sounds like you created your walls with Surfaces. You should be using Solids.

I just set the thickness of the lines from my 2d plan to the height of the wall. And then I was trying to make a hole in that wall using subtract. But I guess that's not the way to do it? I will give it a shot with solids. Sorry I am a noob at this... Here's a screenshot.house_screenshot.jpg

I would recommend you to use the BOX solid, it'll get you going a lot faster because its more editable than the other methods.

Hi,

For your walls, you can use Polysolid (1)

Home tab/modeling panel/polysolid

you can change its Height [Height]: h

you can change its width [Width]: w

you can its justification [Justify]: j

for opening for doors and windows, you can use press/pull (3) after to draw your opening by using dynamic UCS (2)

see image

Bye

Pascal

create wall 3d.jpg

You used the properties box to add thickness?..so you actually didn't extrude it to create solids ,did you?Maybe that is the reason solids modify commands don't work..you are not working with solids..

You can create solid walls with the Extrude, Press/Pull, Loft and Polysolid commands. You can create openings for your doors and windows using Subtract or Press/Pull.

yes indeed I wasnt working with solids... the polysolid command along with presspull works really well to create walls