Getting Sketch Dimensions from SolidWorks (NEW USER)

Bobzy20

Hi I’m currently following this SolidWorks tutorial below:

http://myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~mmdsham/doc/Tut01-SW09-e-Excavator.pdf

However I’m drawing it in AutoCAD. The tutorial gives you instructions on how to draw just 2 components of the Excavator (Arm & Cab) and the other components have already been drawn in SolidWorks for you so all you need to do is put everything together.

So my question is, are you able to retrieve each of the component sketch dimensions which would enable me to draw them in AutoCAD?

The SolidWorks components can be found here:

http://myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~mmdsham/doc/Tut01-SW-3D.zip

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Bobzy20

Hi KC thanks for the reply.

I have SolidWorks so if it's an easy job then I can do it?

Bobzy20

Bobzy, out of curiosity why are you drawing the stuff in Acad?

You have 3 major file types. part, assembly and drawing. If you start a new drawing file and insert the parts you want, you can fully dimension them. You can insert 3 standard views. Also inside a part file you can turn on dimensionXpert and auto dimension everything as well. Ive never used that other than looking in to it.

You also have the ability to just measure items by using Tools>measure.

I have been learning 3D AutoCAD and just wanted to draw a few complex objects so eventually I will be able to draw most things.

I know SolidWorks is easier to work with in most cases, I don’t really know SolidWorks yet but I will one day!

When I try and follow tutorials draw in SolidWorks and I’m doing them in AutoCAD its really only then you realise the difference.

Commands like ‘extrude to surface’ are very helpful.

Cheers

Bobzy20

in ACAD you can draw a surface and replace face, or use the surface to trim, but it is a lot more involved:)

For something like this, i wouldnt be real concerned with the dimensions. You will not be creating an assembly that you can move around. I would just go off of looks and try to "scale" everything to the parts you have drawn and not worry about dimensioning what they have. You can also save the part files as another format and just open them in ACAD.