LAPTOP SPEC ---needs advise.

CAD Library

i need something fast that will cope with detailed 3D rendering etc.

what computer specs would be excellent for fast 3d works?

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

:D

What OS will you be using? Win7 32-bit or Win7 64-bit?

Will software will you be utilizing to create your detailed renderings?

I'm using Windows vista starter... 64-bit..

I am planning to install 3d max.. but right now I use only sketchup ...

Vista? Ugh. I'd suggest buying your new laptop with Win7 64-bit installed. How much are you really going to save by not having an OS pre-installed?

The Lenovo line of laptops are worth looking at.

Where are you located? Vista Starter is definitely not the way to go. The Starter editions (Win 7 Starter has now replaced Vista Starter) are targeted to nations who aren't fully developed technology wise. Its as basic as you can get and has a bunch of limitations. First off, there is no 64bit edition of Starter. You're limited to 1 GB of ram. Max of 3 programs running at once. It only support's these processors " It supports AMD's Athlon XP, Duron, Sempron and Geode processors, and Intel's Celeron, Pentium III processors and certain models of Pentium 4."

This is the absolute worst OS you could be using. It's not what you are looking for. It won't be able to do what you want. Look through the posts in the Hardware Sub-forum to get an idea of specs. If you have the money I'd definitely recommend a Lenovo ThinkPad if you really want a laptop (I ran mine over with my truck once on accident and it still works, only cracked the screen).

You're going to want a computer with a 64bit version of Win 7 installed. If you want fast renderings you'll need plenty of ram, a powerful processor, and a decent graphics card. If speed is important you'd be better off with a powerful desktop which would cost you less than a laptop.

Edited by dtaylor
changed are to aren't

Who are you? I find it extremely hard to believe you have anything to do with the website you linked in your signature and used as your user name. You're not just trying to get traffic to go to the website by posting bogus questions are you?

I am an architecture fresh graduate. I worked as Autocad operator and just overworked the hvacdetails library for the next update.... anything wrong with linking my work in my signature?... Anyway i don't have much experience with 3D CAD and hardware and that's why i'm asking. :)

Edited by CAD Library

Win 7 64-bit.

Quad-core. Intel i5 or i7 3.3GHz processor.

Minimum of 4GB RAM. 8GB would be better. And make it the fastest you can get.

A mid-range graphics card. Graphics cards do not speed up rendering times.

A 7200 rpm hard drive minimum. Stay away from 5400 rpm drives (slow).

anything wrong with linking my work in my signature?

As long as it's free it's ok, but the hvac design link is not free. CADTutor is not here to provide you with free advertising space so please remove that link from your signature. If you want to advertise your work for sale, please contact the administrator about purchasing advertising space.

I'm not so sure about the CAD Drawings link either. It seems that you need credits in order to download the details. How exactly do you get credits? Do you have to purchase them?

i've just removed hvacdetails - CAD Library is not really commercial - after sign up the visitor get credits for free and can start downloading details. We doing this to save bandwith. i hope this is fine with you. :)